Tomatoes

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Im going to be canning tomatoes tonight and i'm not sure of the process....i've always just bagged mine and put in the freezer.

What recipes for canning tomatoes does everyone have?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ball Book is a good reference; but google can get you lots of quick hits if you just need processing times.

Basically how you do the tomatoes up for canning depends on what you're going to want to use them for afterwards -- whole canned tomatoes, chunky tomatoes in watery juice, watery tomato sauce, thick storeboughten-ish tomato sauce, what?

really any which way you do it you'll end up with a perfectly fine usable product as long as you observe proper processing times (and for questionable cultivars maybe add a touch of lemon juice or vinegar)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Or even a splash of raw apple cider vinegar :D

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I guess the best bet is for diced or sauce....how would i do those?? Boil tomatoes to remove skin then dice and place into jars and then water bath them? Same with sauce?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
For sauce, dip the tomatoes in hot water then in ice water to get the skins to slide off, then chop up and cook down until it is the thickness you want. Add spices and then water bath process.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Victorio Strainer!! It is a life saver when it comes to tomato sauce!!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my favorite because its quick and easy.

Raw-Packed Tomatoes with No Added Liquid
Makes quarts or pints

You will need:
3 lb whole, halved or quartered tomatoes per quart jar
Bottled lemon juice or citric acid
Salt, optional
(32 oz) quart or (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) WASH tomatoes. Dip in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds or until skins start to loosen and crack. Immediately dip in cold water. Slip off skins. Remove cores and any bruised or discolored portions. Leave whole, halve or quarter.
3.) ADD 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/2 tsp citric acid to each hot quart jar. Add 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice or 1/4 tsp citric acid to each hot pint jar.
4.) PACK raw tomatoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Press tomatoes into the jar until the spaces between them fill with juice leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar, 1/2 teaspoon to each pint jar, if desired. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding tomatoes. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
5.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 85 minutes for both pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/all_recipes/215.php?recipe=148&recipID=192&catID=

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks so much!!!! I'll be doing this tonight!