Tomatos! Need recipes

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am up to my eyes with TOMATOES! does anyone have a good pasta sauce recipe, that is good for canning, that doesn't have any cheese or meat in it?

Thank you!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
And I don't use recipes ! I just go with what works and tastes good. I bet if you went to canningusa.com or pickyourown.org you could find something. The internet saves my life regularly !

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I normally love pickyourown.org but that website has been giving me some issues the past few days, is anyone else having an Error every time they try to load it?

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Annie, we add chopped onions, peppers, celery, carrots, etc. to our tomato juice and can it that way. It makes a great base for soups, chili, etc. Today my wife poured a quart over roast with some salt and pepper and baked it. When we walked in the house after church, the smell was wonderful and the flavor of the roast was awesome! Just an idea.
Tomorrow we will take the leftover roast, chop it up, add a quart of the base and some potatoes, some other vegetables, cook it up in a crock pot. All this with a pan of cornbread, yum, yum!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a recipe that came with my whole foods blender. I don't peel. It's tomatoes, onion, 1/2 tsp brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, basil, garlic, oregano and 2 Tbs paste. I never stick to it exactly. Usually mix several batches simmer for about 45 min then can.

I used the same recipe but simmered it for about 5 hours for paste. then the same base again with extra herbs and medium simmer time for pizza sauce.

Check the recipe section and type in tom sauce. There is a ton of info.

good luck g

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm jealous that anyone as far north as I is overwhelmed with tomatoes! For the first time in my life, I am seriously worried that I may never have more than a handful of tomatoes ripe on my 75-100 plants!!!

The Tomato Ladys Garden Marinara Saucefreeze extras for pizza sauce, as topping for pasta or base for spaghetti and meatballs. This works equally well canned or frozen. Enjoy!

A colander heaping full of heirloom tomatoes (assorted varieties make the best sauce)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 handfuls fresh mixed basil, parsley, oregano and marjoram, chopped
2 tsp kosher salt
Several grinds of fresh pepper

Peel and seed the tomatoes. (For easy peeling, cut an X in the bottom of the tomatoes, then boil them briefly the skins should slide right off.) In a saut pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the garlic. When the cloves turn a honey brown, remove and discard (I never throw away garlic but leave it in and puree it). Put half of the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse to make small chunks. Add to the oil. Pulse the remaining tomatoes with half the herbs. Add to the pan with salt and pepper. Simmer to the desired consistency, 30 to 40 minutes depending on the tomatoes water content. Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining herbs. Enjoy. The sauce can be frozen for future use. Serves 8 to 10.

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Alot of people around me are having issues with there tomatoes this year as well. So don't feel bad.

I only have so many tomatoes this year cus my crop sucked last year, so this year I planted a tomato army, of over 20 plants.

I'm also competing with a dreaded black walnut tree not to far from my tomato garden that always makes my crop suffer.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have more tomatoes than I can eat this year. They are one of my favoite things, so it's no worry. But Lori is a little tired of them.

One of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes is an old Italian favorite.

Slice several tomatoes thickly. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt, some cracked pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Let these slices sizzle under the broiler flame for a few minutes till the oil is spittin'

Then top the slice swith a fresh basil leaf and your favorite cheese (I prefer the aged and stinky stuff, like parma or romano types) and stick them back under the hot flame until the cheese bubbles and browns, maybe even crisps a little.

I like to eat them this way with toast triangles, made from crusty sourdough bread.