tommywalnuts-My Self Sufficient Journal: Rural, Urban, and back again

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I was just thinking of you this morning. Glad you posted.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi ya'll

This has been a very tough few months for me and mine. Ya'll know of my grandma's passing in October. Well, my wife fell into a terrible depression around the holidays. Her mom passed a little over a year ago. She couldn't seem to participate, so I soldiered on for the kids sake, putting up a tree, doing all the gifts, holiday cooking, all the stuff her and I have done together. The kids, especially the 2 oldest, began to lose respect for her, which I repeatedly addressed, both to her and them. But inside, I was feeling something akin to what they felt. It was very frustrating, trying to hold the whole family together by myself. I hurt also, my grandma was the most important person to me, next to my wife. Anyway, things came to a vicious head New years. The kids made horrible accusations about my wife, saying she didn't love us, and that we were not family. For hours I tried to talk the situation down...but my heart finally broke. They were mad because they weren't getting thier way, and willing to hurt anyone in order to get what they wanted(to run the town like thugs). I wouldn't talk to them for days.
My wife and I feel perhaps it is time to try to get them back with thier mom. She has gotten a job(starts tomorrow), and God willing will do the right thing, get her life in order, and finally provide for her children. She has to get a house, and utilities, so its certainly not a quick fix, probably months. And who knows what can happen. But my wife and I have begun to heal our relationship, and I can speak to the kids again. But it really hurts. We have invested our hearts in this, and been sh!t upon for our efforts. Money being tight never helps, and Lauras aunt(her last close relative )is in ICU with acute respiratory something or another. I paray that the Lord will hold us all in his hand, because I am seriously mentally and physically exhausted.
On the SS side of things, not much happening, to cold to do much but feed and water. The chickens are still laying surprisingly well. I cannot wait until warmer weather, so I can work outside in the garden....commune with the Lord and nature in my favorite way.

God bless ya'll...I haven't posted much, but I keep reading, and just reading the various posts here has helped me hold it together. Thanks to all.

T

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
It sounds like it's been a really tough period and I wish there was a way to make it easier. Healing from losing a loved one is usually in stages and lots of people backslide around the holidays over it. Because there's so many reminders involved. Try to make sure you both get some sunlight in case S.A.D. is part of the moods.

It's good that you are dealing with the problems as a team. I wish you all peace and healing.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Tommy it sounds like it has been tough. Glad you are still working on it.
The holiday season can be tough, emotional and stressful under the best of circumstances. Add in fresh memories of loved ones who are no longer with us and it compounds the problem. Kids are just kids. They always want what they want.
Glad you are working on the problems and hanging in there.
Hug your wife for me and tell her this will all pass and she will be ok. And here is a :hugs for you.
I am sending you a PM. So check your messages shortly.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry to here things are tough for you right now. Hang in there and you will all get through it. The holidays can be really hard, especially when dealing with loss.

Hugs to you all.

gina

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I spent the day trying to get back into SS mode. It was cold and wet, but I made myself anyway. I went to the scrap pile at work and spent a several hours tearing apart varios wooden pallets to reclaim lumber for my home projects. The results: 4 10' 2x6's, 40 or so 4' 1x6's, 5 5' 2x4's, several 4' 1x4's, and 1 12' 1x6 . As a bonus, also found about 30lbs of scrap aluminium in the form of broken window and storm door frames. Later, John and I put together a snaptite airplane model and then did some target practice with his BB gun. Altogether, a very great day!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nice score!

I read that you are going to make some planter boxes :clap

I need to make some big raised beds and the expense has me a bit put off. I was going to use cedar fencing from home depot as that seems the least expensive route....but I often see piles of pallets, but just don't really know if I could use them. I don't know if I could actually build a 4x10 box out of them. Any ideas?