Too much cabbage. Help?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do I do with cabbage? Low-carb stuff please. DH hates fruit with his savories so I can't do a fruitandcabbage slaw.

Are there good cabbage soups? (DH hates borscht so no borsht.)

Help?
I have red and green cabbage that'll go bad soon if I don't use it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sauerkraut? Boiled dinner? (Corned beef, boiled with cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and rutabaga or turnips. Yum.)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
What do I do with cabbage? Low-carb stuff please. DH hates fruit with his savories so I can't do a fruitandcabbage slaw.

Are there good cabbage soups? (DH hates borscht so no borsht.)

Help?
I have red and green cabbage that'll go bad soon if I don't use it.
Lacto fermented saurkraut.
Ferments are super easy, and keep in the fridge for a full year if made right.
http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/lacto-fermented-sauerkraut.html
This recipe can have just the cabbage and salt if you want.
We add a 1/4 of raw cultured whey to each jar as well.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get sauerkraut at the farmer's market. They've got a great recipe and a little jar is all we need for a couple months. But thanks for the idea.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Oh! One dish we love is this. Stir fry thinly sliced cabbage and shredded carrots together in olive oil.
Add fresh grated ginger, sesame oil and salt to taste.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Oh! One dish we love is this. Stir fry thinly sliced cabbage and shredded carrots together in olive oil.
Add fresh grated ginger, sesame oil and salt to taste.
Yum. I think I just found my lunch tomorrow!

ETA I could add some small chunks of cod that I bought at the farmers market!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sauerkraut; cabbage rolls; cole slaw without any fruit (never heard of cole slaw with fruit, myself); red cabbage with apples (oops ... fruit! Still, the apples kind of disappear in this); beef and cabbage soup; colcannon - Irish mashed potatoes mixed with greens, cabbage or others; sauteed with sausage on the side

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Coleslaw! :D We have it every day when cabage is in season. I also like cabbage in soup. It's almost like noodles if you slice it thinly.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okonomiyaki - http://okonomiyakiworld.com/best-okonomiyaki-recipe.html

Don't know much about low carb, so can't say if this is, but it surely could be made that way. This is Osaka style, which looks easier than the Hiroshima style that DH and I had in Japan, and which I make every once in awhile here. The only speciality ingredient that I use out of that list is the okonomiyaki sauce (easily got at an Asian market), though a bit of research would probably show how to substitute; I substitute what I have on hand for anything else. We entered a restaurant specializing in these without knowing what they were, and liked them well enough to look for them again. In Hiroshima we had them with a local product - oysters.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Okonomiyaki - http://okonomiyakiworld.com/best-okonomiyaki-recipe.html

Don't know much about low carb, so can't say if this is, but it surely could be made that way. This is Osaka style, which looks easier than the Hiroshima style that DH and I had in Japan, and which I make every once in awhile here. The only speciality ingredient that I use out of that list is the okonomiyaki sauce (easily got at an Asian market), though a bit of research would probably show how to substitute; I substitute what I have on hand for anything else. We entered a restaurant specializing in these without knowing what they were, and liked them well enough to look for them again. In Hiroshima we had them with a local product - oysters.
I could see making something like that and using oyster sauce on it. Yum. DH probably wouldn't like it much but I would. Thanks.