Took the plunge today into homeschooling!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today Switched on Schoolhouse was 20% off with free shipping, it is the program I have been researching so I ordered it. This will be my first experience with homeschooling and I am NERVOUS! We know this is the best thing for one our our kids (who is struggling terribly in public school) but I am not confident I am teacher material.
Any advice for a newbie using S.O.S?
Any advice for California laws regarding it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No advice other than congratulations! You only need to be a step ahead of the kid, so just read the day's material ahead of time.

My SIL homeschooled my nephew and he is a wonderful kid....er....young man. They occasionally hired a tutor for stuff that neither of them were good at....a retired science teacher, for example, did some microscope work with him. He got music lessons and joined a garage band with a bunch of middle-aged guys and the even had a few small gigs. There are lots of opportunities for homeschooled kids that aren't available to school groups, which are too big and liability and poor behavior/supervision is an issue....my nephew and SIL got to go on boats with marine biologists and other exciting adventures where they could take 6 people or so and it was FREE!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No advice, but just wanted to say congratulations, too! If I had it to do all over again, I would have homeschooled my daughter.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be patient ...not only when you are teaching a new concept, but also when you ask a question. Give them time to formulate an answer.
You can join with other homeschoolers for field trips or for certain lessons.
Congratulations for taking on this job.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We are moving to a new area and trying this all at the same time, just a tad overwhelmed but it is what is best for our child and that's what's important. I will be looking for other families to connect with once we fully move.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homeschooling is great. Dont worry it will all work itself out and you'll get the hang of it!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We are getting ready to tackle first grade level with my son and kindergarten level stuff with my daughter this year. It is hard but good. My advice is that if you need a break, take it. When you get frustrated take a step back and breathe. I had to totally rework my approach with my son for this year and I'm nervous too but he seems to be up for it. Make sure the kids get lots of outside time to work out that energy and talk a lot! If they ask you a question you don't know the answer to then take the time to go find out the answer together, my son has learned a lot this way. Sometimes our days take different turns than what I had planned and that is okay. Just take into account the best way your child learns and tailor the material to that learning style or you could have a fight on your hands. Use your public library too, teach them how to look for things and find answers on their own and embrace their interests and find ways to incorporate them into your curriculum.

Good luck, I used to be a teacher for real and I wish I didn't have the background now cause I have to unlearn everything about teaching that I learned for my degree. Sometimes it is better to learn along with your child. :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations sufficientforme! I love homeschooling...now! I started homeschooling my youngest son right from kindergarten on, out of necessity. He will start '6th grade' in a few weeks (actually, we go year-round, just less in the summer time). I was terribly nervous when we first began. Could I do it? What about socialization (every well meaning friend or family member's comment!)? I learned that, if I relaxed and had fun; my son did too. I found teaching opportunities in mundane or oddball places: My son learned colors and shapes sorting laundry with me, he learned beginning physics flipping a race car (after I calmed down!) and of course there is the whole grocery store experience. I also found that what I thought was great for him, sometimes wasn't. We went through several different math and spelling books before we found ones that worked. I would also say to not panic if things don't go as you had planned. My son was very behind in learning to read and I endured countless comments about 'grade appropriate' things he should know. Once we found what worked for him, my son's reading 'caught fire' - he devours books by the dozens (thank you, public library!) now and is reading at an adult level. I do not live in CA, so I can't help you with that. I did research all the regulations for my state and follow them scrupulously. As for the socialization issue, just do what works for you. Our school system allows homeschooled kids to take certain classes (art, for example) and to play sports through the district. There are also some great home school groups that even have their own basketball and baseball leagues. We tried to give our son exposure to all age groups. He can talk politics and government with adults as easily as he can talk racing or XBOX with kids. He gets compliments on his public speaking abilities and his wide range of knowledge (I try to include his current interests in as many lesson plans as possible. If he loves the subject, he's a sponge!)
I went into this experience knowing that there wasn't one teacher, in any public school in this country, who cared as much about my son as I did. So, who better to teach him than me? *Disclaimer: I have a wonderful and supportive husband who works countless hours so I can stay home and do this. I realize this isn't for everybody. I do have "I give up!" days, for which I keep a handy list of free or low cost projects and field trip ideas close at hand :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wonderful advice, THANKS EVERYONE! I am taking it day by day getting ready for the new school year I have been doing lots of reading about homeschooling) Where we are now school starts in two weeks, where we are moving it doesn't start until late August first part of September so I have some time to figure out the logistics of what I have to do to meet CA laws.

SSDreamin :welcome