Tool Lending Program

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So I went and bought a power steering pump for my car and found out that advance auto has a tool lending program. I rented a pulley puling tool for a couple of bucks instead of buying one for like $25. Saved a lot doing this myself and didn't need to buy this specialty tool to do it.

I don't know if other places do this but it is a pretty nifty program.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah that is a helpful program they have. We have used it before as well, and have been pleased to not have to buy the special tools!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to be about an idea I've had for years: A neighborhood tool lending program. It just seems silly that everyone needs their own mower, drills, tablesaw, etc. when you only use them once in a while. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to responsibly share stuff so only 1 out of every x neighbors needed to buy something.

Well, in absence of that, it's good to know about auto places renting out tools... it's actually a great idea for them since it builds customer satisfaction, loyalty, etc. Heck, this thread is you posting about your good experience there, so it's working. ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My son had an idea for a business, but has no money to get it off the ground. His idea was to rent out garages that are fully loaded w/auto working tools. It would be something that you could use for a short period of time so you're out of the weather, or for a longer period of time if you're restoring a car.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Both of our auto store does this. Both are big name chains.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
My son had an idea for a business, but has no money to get it off the ground. His idea was to rent out garages that are fully loaded w/auto working tools. It would be something that you could use for a short period of time so you're out of the weather, or for a longer period of time if you're restoring a car.
Actually, there are few places that have garage space to use... I don't know if all the hand tools are supplied. A guy was talking about it on my truck forum. I think stuff like jacks and air compressors are provided.

It is a good idea. Tools are sometimes outrageously exspensive. I don't know if many of you guys have harbor freight near you but it has some crazy cheap priced tools. A lot are pretty junky like the power tools. That being said I got one of those standard red toolboxes for 20 bucks. It is as good as anything sold at sears.

And I mean a set of screwdrivers for 6 dollars... really I didn't care if they were a little cheaper because how many times do you use a screwdriver for its unapproved (is that a word) use (prying, scraping).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I go to HF all the time. And, their power tools are fine for what I need them for.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nifty said:
I thought this thread was going to be about an idea I've had for years: A neighborhood tool lending program. It just seems silly that everyone needs their own mower, drills, tablesaw, etc. when you only use them once in a while. In a perfect world, everyone would be able to responsibly share stuff so only 1 out of every x neighbors needed to buy something.

Well, in absence of that, it's good to know about auto places renting out tools... it's actually a great idea for them since it builds customer satisfaction, loyalty, etc. Heck, this thread is you posting about your good experience there, so it's working. ;)
We do that around here. ;) Three neighbors share a tiller with us, we borrow their mowers, and weed whackers when we need them, and we sometimes do each others yards/gardens/etc. It is very helpful, and so far everyone is getting along with it, and nobody has "taken their toys and gone home" over any fuss. Now, I just need to figure out who has a four wheeler they'd loan for a few days to drag some big pieces of steel out of the woods.

Does any company rent out 4 wheelers?