Tools and Books

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Many on here have already figured out that what you see is just the beginning of our future reality. It is never coming back. Our future is to live in a super depression for the rest of our lives. It is not completely here today, but we are on the downward slide and the bottom is were we will linger.

The reason for this post is to express not only this reality, but also to express what I think a lot of people over look in their preps.

Knowledge is power. Knowledge is life. Knowledge is advantage. Books are the key to this. Yes right now we have the internet, but what happens when the lights go out or like in Egypt those in power just shut it off? Buy all the books you can get you hands on about everything:
Cooking
Preserving food
Butchering
Fishing
Hunting
Farming
Logging
Carpentry
Machinist work
Welding
Gardening
Gun smithing
Mechanics
Medicine
Herbal
Psychology
Blacksmithing
Concrete work
Electrical
Reloading
Alternative energy
Recycling
Trapping
Buy all the old Popular Mechanics and Popular Science Magazines you can find for $2 each or less.

Even if you do not need all of this information it is never going to hurt you to have it anyhow. You may also be able to trade or sell these books to others who need it when times are tuff. The main reason to have a well stocked library is so that you have the knowledge to repair and maintain life around you.

The next thing to think about are tools. You will need the tools to make the repairs. You are not going to be able to hire things done on a whim like you are used to. The problem with a lot of tools is that electricity may or may not be scarce. So hand tools are going to be a big deal. You can pick them up at yard sales, thrift stores and flea markets for cheap. You know the same places that you should be looking for books.

Hammers
Handsaws
Planes
Chisels
Squares
Levels
Tapes
Drywall tools
Concrete hand tools
Blacksmithing tools
Mechanics tools
Files (lots of Files)
Vise
Garden tools
Wagon or Wheel Barrow
Nails and Screws (lots)
Crosscut saw
Brace and Bits

Now if you have the ability to generate electricity then power tools should definitely be on the list as well. I think a person should at least look at 18V battery systems with an inverter that can be hooked up to the vehicle if nothing else. When I lived off grid, I kept my battery system charged by having an inverter hooked to the cigarette lighter and charged when I was driving back and forth to work or town.

Sawz All
Skill Saw
3/8 Drill
1/2 Drill
Drill press
1"x42" sander with a 6" disc
Welder
Torch

Nice but not absolutely necessary:
Table saw
Chop saw
Router
Table top Milling Machine
Metal Lathe.
Table saw
router

Now the more you know the less you will need. Such as having a rotary table with a Milling machine will allow you to not have to have a metal lathe. A drill press can also be used as a metal or a wood lathe in a pinch too. A skill saw can be used in place of a table saw if you build a set up for it. You can even arc weld with your car if needed and you know how. I have even seen cars cut in half with the same system.

The idea is to have as much knowledge in your head as you can and what you do not use every day you should have at your finger tips for quick reference. Then you need the tools to actually complete the tasks. The best thing about being able to fix or build anything is that your skills will be in demand and you will have something of value to barter with your neighbors.

Now finally a scrap metal pile and scrap lumber storage is going to be the next thing, because what good is the knowledge and tools with out the raw material to work with.

Just a few thoughts on my mind. Not a complete list by any means and I am sure there are other things you can think of and add to this list.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey fancy that, My dh obsession on having every tool in the world just might come in handy.

I would like to get a couple more books on hunting, butchering.

thanks.

:thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hey fancy that, My dh obsession on having every tool in the world just might come in handy.

I would like to get a couple more books on hunting, butchering.

thanks.

:thumbsup
:lol: I'm the tool collector here ;) Dh is the tool misplacer ;lau

I have several on butchering. several on gardening, DIY, logging, etc. Complete books on homesteading and raising livestock. Probably TOO many ;) I like books :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree, can you recommend a couple on butchering and basics of hunting. do they have a Hunting for Dummies?? :lol:

g

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I for one agree to a complete library of books. It never hurts to have books on all the topics mentioned above. It does take time to collec these items too. Just doesn't happen over night. I have been building a library like the one mentioned for 4 yrs now.

Good places to look:
yard sales : great prices and a good feeling when you find them this way
ebay: I sell odd things I no longer need and turn it into something I need
old book stores: Sometimes you come across some good deals.
auctions: some work trying to find them
Library sales or free table: I have found many good books this way
Dump: if you have a take it or leave it building at your dump. Great place to look
Friends who are cleanig out there modern houses and have to much stuff. :) If they don't want it and I can use it I'll take it Thank you

Some places to look. Never hurts to have multiple books in the same toipc either. Different people different points of view. Thanks for the topic

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wannabefree, can you recommend a couple on butchering and basics of hunting. do they have a Hunting for Dummies?? :lol:

g
For butchering game I have the Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game by John J. Mettler D.V.M. My copy is actually for sale :D I have a bigger book that is all inclusive and has all the excerpts I needed from that one so if ya need it it's brand new, just haven't gotten around to listing it anywhere yet. It tells/shows how to do Beef, Pork, Veal, Lamb, Poultry, Rabbit, and Venison. Also mentions goats, horses, and bison kinda :sick but good to know :lol: It has a chapter on preserving/building a smokehouse and another entire chapter of recipes for game meats! I highly highly recommend it for those just starting butchering. I replaced my need for it with buying Storey's Basic country Skills, but that book was a bit spendy...it was a gift from my darling hubster :D

I don't know of any on hunting...I was taught by family everything I know about hunting :hu The state puts out a magazine every year with their hunting liscenses that you can get some great ideas from, also LOTS of web info on hunting that could be printed out.

I have several of my books for sale if anyone may be interested.

The joy of Keeping Farm Animals ~raising chickens goatd pigs sheep and cows by Laura Childs

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens~ by Gail Damerow

And the basic Butchering of Livestock and Game John J. Mettler

If anyone might want these titles, PM me with an offer. The condition is near mint/brand new on all but Storey's Guide, and it is Very Good condition as well. Just worn a bit from the 20 times I have read it cover to cover ;) The other two I purchased right before DH got me the other one :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Two biggies (IMO) to add to your tools list would be sharpening stones and various sizes of needles.

Perhaps a pipe bender too (and probably something to solder with plus some solder, and/or a variety of solder-less pipe fittings)

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Two biggies (IMO) to add to your tools list would be sharpening stones and various sizes of needles.

Perhaps a pipe bender too (and probably something to solder with plus some solder, and/or a variety of solder-less pipe fittings)

Pat
You can sharpen blades on concrete...I learned that from the inmates at the prison I worked at :lol: :/ Not really funny....but it DOES work, so sharpening stones aren't truly necessary but would be good to have.

The pipe bender and solder.....good ideas!

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd add a book about sewing & maybe some basic patterns for pants & shirts.

Come to think of it, a book about how to make cloth, spin wool, shoemaking and leatherworking/tanning