Toothache?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it's an absessed tooth, I found applying a baking soda/salt poultice to the gum area works great to draw out the infection. Mix half and half salt/soda, dip a lightly moistened piece of cottonball in it and stick it against your gums and leave it there at least an hour or overnight is best. Works like a charm!

For all toothaches, be sure you avoid hot food/drinks. The heat makes the nerve in the tooth pulse and expand against the confinement of the root canal and it HURTS. I was so distraught that I couldn't enjoy a hot cup of coffee until I had my root canal done.

Ambisol (sp?) is helpful too. Keep it with you and apply as needed. I like the gel kind.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depends on the cause of the toothache. If it's a crack, not much you can do. Avoid anything that will stress it. Cavities, um I think clove oil or alcohol rubbed on dulls the pain - hence the vanilla Justus suggested.
Interesting note - I had a filling replaced and the tooth didn't take to it very well. My dentist said it was trying to die and might need a root canal. She had me go on ibuprofen around the clock for 3 days to make the nerves in the tooth calm down and it worked. No root canal.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs My mom is down with a toothache today too!
I swish with Peroxide and that sometimes helps. Sometimes I put baby orajel on it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have used those clove oil toothache kits you get at Walgreens. It got me through a bought of dry socket without having to go back to the dentist.

birdaholic

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you have infection, it may be from bacteria. A good thing to have around is silver hydrosol. It is pure silver, in pure water, and it is GREAT for ANY problem like this. It comes under many names, colodal silver, sovereign silver, etc. Most health food stores carry it. You can cure almost any infection with it, including sinus (which can also be a cause of tooth pain) It is great for animals too, it has been a life saver in our house! ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I ended up with Ibuprofen. Got into the dentist tomorrow. AFRAID for what they tell me / do to me. I'm 26 and haven't been to a dentist in 18 years!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I ended up with Ibuprofen. Got into the dentist tomorrow. AFRAID for what they tell me / do to me. I'm 26 and haven't been to a dentist in 18 years!
They're gonna try talk you into EVERYTHING. Stand your ground, don't let them mess with you!!!

I'd also vote for vanilla or clove oil.

There are also acupressure points you can put pressure on, depending on top or lower jaw... its hard to explain perhaps there is a site online that would show them.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip, Birdaholic. I am going to run out and get some tomorrow and give it a try. The tooth I had to have a root canal in has been hurting me a little off and on and I have had a sinus infection for a month. I worry that the tooth is acting up and will need more work, then it goes away, so I haven't called the dentist yet (and really don't want to anyway!!) I can't tell if it's the tooth or just my sinuses aggravating the tooth. Hopefully that silver hydrosol will help sort it out.