Top Secret Garden plot

User4960

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How many folks grow some plants and don't tell anyone?

I just read about a person not telling anyone about their Asparagus plot!
I understand the thinking. "Mine minemine all MINE"

I've never done it, but I sure wish I could have a top secret raspberry thicket somewhere. While everyone else gets the wild Blackberries I'd "somehowerother" be having Raspberries, red, purple, golden...and add some Boysenberries and others...

There is just something subtle about raspberries, the flavor, that I enjoy, that blackberries don't have. I love blackberries too, but raspberries have that something subtle to them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I won't tell anyone where the wild blackberry patches are in the woods that I hit. i've never purposely planted any back off in the woods though. Interesting idea :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe that the forests of Northern California and Western Oregon (and, no doubt, many other places) are well known to have many, many "secret gardens" - but the police helicopters keep flying over trying to find them! :lol:

Who would you be hiding your raspberries from? If from the neighbours, wouldn't it be enough just to have a fence? If from your family (MineminemineALLMINE), i'm not sure what to suggest. I agree with you though; raspberries are my very favorite berry.

I have read of *hiding* edibles in plain view in the flower borders. Quite a number of edibles aren't well enough known by non-gardeners to be seen as something to eat if they are planted among flowers. I have herbs scattered about, but not to hide them, just because I like the way they look.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I believe that the forests of Northern California and Western Oregon (and, no doubt, many other places) are well known to have many, many "secret gardens" - but the police helicopters keep flying over trying to find them! :lol:
Exactly my thought when I read this!!! :lol:

I don't have to hide my favorite yummies from the guys. They are both so picky, I can plant everything in plan sight! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
y mom lays claim to anything and everything percieved as "extra" in my yard :p So, yeah hiding things would/could be nice, but I don't. Mom is funny :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have secret blackberry plots in the woods, we don't maintain them. We use them though :D

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday my family went for a ride to the back of our property to check out the berries and some were ready, so we picked our first, small batch. I noticed some wild strawberries. I have often entertained the thought that if wild strawberries can grow here, why not domestic? I can't do anything this year, but I told DH that I am thinking about having a gorilla garden of strawberries at places I find wild ones......hopefully no one notices.
Sister told me about a Cubian dish with the roots of elephant ears, so we talked of planting some in our wet areas in the woods......kinda like an emergency stash that would be in plain site, but no one would know what to do with it.
Yeah......my mind works like that. I don't know anyone locally who grows rasberries, although I have read that they have pretty much the same requirements as blackberries and the plants look identical to me. I don't know if they can take extreme heat. Must confess....I've never eaten one in my life. I guess they must be good.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:

Who would you be hiding your raspberries from? If from the neighbours, wouldn't it be enough just to have a fence? If from your family (MineminemineALLMINE), i'm not sure what to suggest. I agree with you though; raspberries are my very favorite berry.

I have read of *hiding* edibles in plain view in the flower borders. Quite a number of edibles aren't well enough known by non-gardeners to be seen as something to eat if they are planted among flowers. I have herbs scattered about, but not to hide them, just because I like the way they look.
This was my thought, too! Working in home care in southern oregon, I'm always afraid I'm going to see something I shouldn't, esp in some if the areas I go. Let's just say I'm very focused bouncing down some dirt roads lol

I don't have anyone here to hide things from. But I do understand the concept of growing food in plain sight, and non gardeners not knowing it's food.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just read about a person not telling anyone about their Asparagus plot!
I understand the thinking. "Mine minemine all MINE"
I know it wasn't me but it could very well have been IF I had an asparagus patch! :lol:

We have a blackberry patch that we don't advertise and I'd love to get some of my other fruits and perennial veggies spaced out more through out our woods. I'll get there, one day! ;)