tortoise's 2020 Preemie Lambs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 6

I forgot to weight them.

They slept through the night!

They're both grasping the bottle independently now. Now more holding their heads and prying their jaws open. I bet I can bottle feed them at the same time now.

Girl is much better in the last 24 hours. Getting up faster. Just stronger, more stable, more vigorous in general.

They're both drinking 4 oz at a time, so they're on the same feeding schedule. That helps a lot too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 6

Bottle lambs had a playdate. DH was watching the preemies walking (hunching, limping) and examined them. He wanted to check their cord stumps since an infection can cause that limping. Preemie girl's lame side was swollen so he examines again and found that her femur is broken. He says it's stable enough to let her body try to heal on its own. I sure hope it does. Broken leg on livestock usually means getting put down.
IMG_1386.JPG

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Awesome, did you ever get s final weight?

They were sooooo cute
They were sold together so I have their average weight (somewhere) on the auction receipt. I have it stuck in my head that they got to >60 pounds. That's good for feeder market. This year half of my lambs were >100 pounds.