Toulle - a turn of the worm?

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
To control mosquitos in my horses' water troughs I simple by feeder gold fish, throw them in there and wah lah no more mosquitos. Those goldfish have been frozen in a solid block of ice in the winter and guess what? Five years later they're still alive and kicking. Don't know if that would help for your purposes, but is a thought.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And that is an excellent thought, too!

Winds here are often 25 MPH, and at least a couple times during the year we'll have winds 50-70 mph. Most everything outside has to be bolted down or set in concrete. :/

Painting the tub black would raise the water temp so high that I couldn't use it unless, of course, I could shade it well enough. I may have to think about this for a while. I love the concept though!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Toulle, I'm sooooo glad you were talking about all this. In discussing it all with DH, he liked the ideas and is on board for creating one in our garden (using the hay shed roof) and maybe one next to the chicken coop (using that small roof). We're both tired of garden hoses all over the place run from the closest hydrant.

We came up with a few ideas for shading our tanks including plywood siding material, 6x6 wire panels with vining plants, etc.

I'm going to send this info to the neighbor that has all the tanks. They are going to install some as a preventative measure (water in the basement, the house was built in a low spot) and your underground hose idea would be perfect for their situation.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the formula. We're in the Twilight Zone here - storms all around, not a drop at our place, then the reverse. No rain anywhere except for a cloud that's dumping it here. Anything I can collect and use later is a bonus!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got my fingers crossed for you!