Tractor Horror Stories

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Share your tractor horror stories here.

I'll start with one (I have been told several).

Farmer parked tractor to go in and get lunch. Farmer's kids were playing on the tractor. Kids set the tractor idle up all the way, released the brake and put it in gear. Farmer comes out gets on tractor, hit the ignition. Tractor takes off, threw farmer off the back of the tractor. Tractor tore up two pickup trucks, a out building, damaged the barn, hit the side of the house before it got hung up in-between two trees and he was able to cut it off.

Lesson... Make sure you follow a start up procedure every time. Make sure the brake is set, PTO is disengaged, it's out of gear, the clutch(s) is disengaged (mine had two clutches) and the idle is low RPMs.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Can't let go cause it will keep on galloping w/o a driver. Can't pull back cause that sets the tines deeper, and makes it gallop faster. The ONLY possible solution is to be able to out run it for just a step or two, and lift the tines up w/o being dragged off your feet. That, my friends is why I much prefer my broad fork to my TroyBilt Pony. The broad fork only goes as fast as I do. But, with the tiller, even if the soil is softened up a bit, or I can even go deep with the tines, one of our many boulders can kick the tines out of the soil, and send me galloping across the yard. Giddy-up-hi-oh-kay-eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Then... there's always the concern about the garden fence! Getting a tiller stuck in the garden fence is even more of a horror show.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Last year my cousin's little granddaughter was killed when she rushed out the door to take a tractor ride with PawPaw....only her grandpa was brush hogging and didn't even know she was approaching the tractor. She ran in between the tractor and the brush hog...no need to describe what happened. Can't get much more horrible than that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, that story is just horrifying. And, I can see how very easily it could happen. To a child, or even a pet.
Couldn't get the image out of my mind and kept picturing Aliza's face on that little girl when I imagined the event. The horror of that innocent little girl, running out to ride on grandpa's tractor and the horror of her grandpa, knowing he had run over her with that blade. My heart breaks for them all even yet.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Couldn't get the image out of my mind and kept picturing Aliza's face on that little girl when I imagined the event. The horror of that innocent little girl, running out to ride on grandpa's tractor and the horror of her grandpa, knowing he had run over her with that blade. My heart breaks for them all even yet.
Horrific ain't the word and I don't even know what the right word is. I've been told a similar story man hit wasp nest and fell off tractor backwards got ran over with bush hog.

When I bush hog I tell my wife and have her check on me occasionally. All pets and kids are put up, until I'm done and the tractor is parked.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸