Training Boi - Mobility Service Dog

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
isn't elevation though a part of the dog wanting to think they are dominant and alpha if they are up higher over the others? i'm certainly open to being corrected on this since i'm not a recent dog owner. i guess the other aspects would be if the dog is more insecure and or curious and just wants to be able to see everything that is going on. and of course plenty of other things too that i can't think about at the moment. :) always interesting to read your comments and observations. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The elevated bed in about 4 inches off the floor. The advantage is making a clear boundary of what "on the bed" means. I think dogs with a real dominance problem are unusual and some dog trainers overuse the word. Most dog owners can do better to think of /boundaries/ and /influence/ rather than /dominance/. Influence is powerful, but less aggressive, it brings about a better relationship.

I was taught the old dominance way. My trainer has been teaching boundaries and influence. I prefer influence very much whenever possible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boi's swelling is decreasing and his incision has stopped weeping and is closed. 🎉 DH says I can increase his activity but back off if his swelling increases. He is 12 days post-op and still on antibiotics.

This means I can begin including some training to our routine again. I'm focusing on the boundaries and influence homework my trainer gave us.

Today I'm starting with tether training - attaching him to me with a leash. It will increase his activity a little and give me opportunities to reward good behaviors and enforce my personal bubble boundaries. He should not be stepping on me, ever, or leaning on me when he isnt tasking.

I'm happy to be able to do more with him again! 💓 I think getting back into training routine will help him through his teenage phase.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know you're happy (and him too) that he can get back to more activities! Hard on a youngster to control his energy. Sounds like you're making good progress and I really enjoy reading all that ya'll do!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The elevated bed in about 4 inches off the floor. The advantage is making a clear boundary of what "on the bed" means. I think dogs with a real dominance problem are unusual and some dog trainers overuse the word. Most dog owners can do better to think of /boundaries/ and /influence/ rather than /dominance/. Influence is powerful, but less aggressive, it brings about a better relationship.

I was taught the old dominance way. My trainer has been teaching boundaries and influence. I prefer influence very much whenever possible.
Boundaries and influence? Can you expound on that further? I may be using that, unknowingly. The only time I lower the boom is when I want to make sure the dogs never do that again, like killing chickens, chasing lambs-those warrant the rolled up paper feed sack. LOL

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My trainer contrasts boundaries and influence with rules and routines.

For example, somebody might make the rule that their dog is not allowed on the couch. But a boundary would be "don't sit on me" and influence is being able to get your dog to move out of your way or get off the couch. My trainer teaches spatial pressure rather than obedience. Its more intuitive for dogs.

Another example. Lets say the human is eating on the couch and the dog approaches. The rules/routine person would probably need to use a trained obedience cue to get the dog to leave or a trained routine of putting the dog away before eating. A boundaries/influence person would use spatial pressure such as thrusting their chest and shoulders to claim the space and cause the dog to back up a reasonable distance.

I hope that makes sense!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

oh, ok, thanks! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a post from Sheba's thread on BYH from November 4. It's on training her to lambs. Something like this?

Pasture #2 showed a little growth so I let the sheep in to graze. For Sheba, this was the first time to be in a field with baby lambs. I kept checking on her, but I had the pressure canner going. So I sat where I could see part of the field. Check canner, ease out door, slip up close enough to spot the dogs, watch, go back to check canner, repeat. About an hour later Sheba finally got bored. She approached the lambs, they moved away, she followed. They ran to momma, Sheba broke into a half run. By that time I was halfway there, grabbed a paper Feed sack, yelled SHEBA NO! And I was in the gate. I beat the sack against my leg while I scolded. Instead of that blank look I normally get, she rolled over and squinted her eyes. A first!! Breakthrough! I finally reached her!

Sentry had never left his spot where he was on guard and he was trying real hard to show me that he was being a good boy. I wanted to laugh. I called him and he ran to me, delighted that he wasn’t in trouble. LOL LOL Sheba poked the back of my leg with her nose and I petted her. Then we walked around while I praised them both. We made progress today.

5D755EEA-A339-417A-9C50-A6D5AD963062.jpeg

She is becoming an awesome sheep guard. I try to work with her every day. It's a little harder now, the summer grass is dormant, the winter grass and clover is just sprouting, so I have to keep the sheep dry lotted. Both Sentry and Sheba go in with me when I feed, sometimes they want to stay there. Their night pasture is next to the sheep barn and they have a piece of the barn for shelter. Sheba has gotten plenty of up close time with the two lambs. Good practice for when the rest of the ewes lamb in January-February.

Another one-feeding her tidbits while we are eating. She doesn't beg from me, but my husband feeds her and she waits like a vulture for a bite. LOL LOL

He will give her a bite when he is almost done. When it is all gone, he shows his hands, palm open and says "All done." Then she lays down.

You have food?

72A9645C-4679-4EC7-B9B8-049A8BECE37E.jpeg

I think what you are saying is actions more like the pack leader. Maybe not so much hard and fast rules, more of a posturing, body language and spoken word correction?

I treat my dogs as partners, pack members, part of the whole, I am the alpha dog. I quietly and gently correct them, but for a serious infraction, I lower the boom. I want them to remember how unpleasant it was and never want to do that again.

As I post this, Carson is fast asleep under the recliner footrest. Every morning, he hears me get up and whines at the door to come in. We have our ritual of him picking up a toy, I admire it, pet him and love him, then he get close to me and takes a nap.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I picked Boi's working harness up from leather shop (just a neighbor's garage). Boi had chewed 2 strap ends off so I got those repaired. I sewed fleece strap covers on tightly so there arent any loose ends sticking out to tempt him. I sewed a zipper pocket organizer into his saddlebag and removed the patches from it. I ordered new patches.

Yesterday we went for a walk downtown. He did great with traffic and seeing his reflections in storefronts. He was too eager to try to see a small dog. I must train him around other dogs more! His heeling was otherwise just about perfect. He got a DQ chicken strip treat on the way home.

I also walked at home and brought him with to work. He did not disappoint me! I got POTSy on the way home and he pulled me the last 1/4 mile home. I was stumbling like a drunk. 😅 If it wasnt for him I would have been laying in the ditch, no exaggeration. So thankful he is healed up and able to work again!! 😍

He has been less reactive to DH, but not realiably so. Not out of the woods, but a light at the end.

I need to train obedience stay. Sit stay and down stay. IDK why I havent done that yet.