Training Dogs with Chickens

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
This is just what I do, and this does not work for everyone.

I trained my yorkie to go to the coops with me by first walking her on her leash, daily. I never left her alone with the chickens.

When we got new chicks, I introduced her to each chick one by one and told her this is our new baby. (I know, it sounds corny, but my dog recognizes the word baby.)

I don't remember the time frame that I walked her out to the coops, but I used a lot of positive training with treats, and sharp NO's when she's lunge on the leash after a bird. I also jerked back on her leash when I said no, but she was on a halter, NOT a collar, not a choke thingamabob.

My mom used a different method. She tied her dog out by her coops, but just out of reach of the coops, and let her dog get used to the chickens gradually. She did this for a few months and now her dog doesn't even lunge at the chickens even when she is not tied. This method doesn't always work, IMO.

Now my dog, Zoe, was already trained with livestock and she runs around the yard and never bothers any of the poultry. I've no clue how her previous owners trained her, but she's the best dog we've ever had.

Anyway, other people I'm sure have better advice.

Good luck.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What I have done with my dogs, is keep them with me and bring them over to the chickens/ducks/rabbits etc. I make them lie down next to the animal in a cage. Every time they start to show interest in the animal, I give a reprimand, (me--I growl at them like a momma dog would do.)

When they are no longer showing interest in the animal-ie no eye contact, I bring the animal out, and repeat until no interest is shown. Next I bring out the animal and judging by the dog's behaviour, I will put the animal on top of the dog.

Even at the beginning of the process, and all the way through if they are too interested, I put the dog in the submissive position--(lying on back with legs up).

Once they are totally disinterested in the animal, I let the animal go. and watch the dog like a hawk. any sign of interest, the dog is growled at, or put in submissive position.

The idea here is that the way dogs think--we are all members of a pack. I am the alpha female. they are ALWAYS at the bottom of the pack hierarchy.--no matter what animal I bring to this farm.

I have a rottweiler and a wirehaired pointing Griffon (a hunting dog) I have total confidence (not being foolish here--as confident as you can be with a predatory animal), with my dogs around the chickens and rabbits. The ducklings are young, and they are fine with the dogs while I am at home messing about.

But in time, as the ducklings grow up, i will be confident about them too.

Two years now, and my dogs have never gone after any of my animals--except to chase the barn cats--whom they know we will never catch.

That is what has worked for us. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I used the alpha dog method also with my younger dog, a lab/BC mix. He caught on very quickly and his whole training took about 20 min. I have had to do 2 corrections on aggressive stance since then (about 2 years now) and one was just yesterday when the dog thought the sheep was going to eat his food and he did a lunge and snap at her. He was rolled and dominated immediately.

He has been around my chickens now for these two years without even a close mishap. The first reinforcement was when he wanted to sniff a chicken's butt and she started to run and he continued to walk her way....I take this as an aggressive move and I don't tolerate it.

Anything other than a curious sniff or a sideways glance at smaller livestock, I consider aggressive.

My older dog came to me already trained, a GP/lab mix. I allow her to sort out chickens that are fighting and she is also allowed to correct them if they try to eat her food, but nothing more than a corrective bark/lunge. I trust her completely and she has been a valuable resource for me. She guards the contents of this yard vigorously.

Both of these dogs have a very high prey drive. Neither have ever harmed any animal I own. That's a pretty high success rate with free range dogs, chickens, sheep, calves and cats. These dogs are my flock guardians while I am away from home....sometimes for 4 days at a time. :thumbsup

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
These dogs are my flock guardians while I am away from home.....
Me too. Just to clarify, i don't trust them around my ducklings yet, for the simple reason that i haven't dedicated much time to train them yet. they still seem to get it, but until we do the submission/domination thing, and keep watch for a certain period of time, I will not trust them.

With both my dogs being high prey drive, it only took them about 1/2 hour to an hour for them to get it. Then they were on probation for about two weeks before I didn't have any concerns.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We used to raise German Shepherds when I was a kid and chicken trained each one as a baby. When the pup was big enough to start really investigating his world they met our big rooster. He was a Red Brown game cock, quite big and very dog aggressive. Each pup was placed in the pen with him for a few minutes. The would inevitably chase after the rooster and he would inevitably knock the puddin' out of the puppy. Lesson = Chickens are VERY dangerous to dogs if chased.

They only needed the one lesson. After that they would NEVER chase a chicken - only the varmints that EAT chickens. Sounds a little mean, but it sure worked.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
All good methods :clap

I actually had a chicken that has taught my newer dog to respect the chickens and ducks. I have a Cuckoo Marans Hen Ms Cluck, she had broken her leg and we had her in the house in a pet carrier to heal and recoop as it were. I would take her out and let her walk around to gain strenght and her ability to walk. Her leg healed crocked it is turned in. She gets around very well. Any way I gave the chicken some left over corn bread still in the pan. Tally the newer dog to the house a Jack Russell wanted some of it too went over to the pan and Ms Cluck pecked her on the nose not once but twice before Tally could move back. Ever since Tally gives all the chickens and Ducks the right away never once has she tried them. this was almost a year now. Tally still chases robins, rabbits and cats But sits and just lets the Chicken and Ducks go on about what ever. Our older dogs have never bothered the fowls at all. this has been 4-5 years.

:frow Karan :D

Latest posts