Trapping a rabbit??

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a rabbit who has moved in under my back deck. Cute little sucker but destructive as well. It and no doubt a few of it's friends have mangled the bushes surrounding the deck and side of my house. What is the best way to trap the rabbit?

The deck is low to the ground and I can see where it has dug to be able to get under the deck. There are 2 entrances/exits.

Thanks!!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad always told me to put salt on its tail. Then it would let you pick it up. :D Sorry, couldn't resist! I have no useful advice. :(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
See if you can find a HAVE-A-HEART trap. I got one at a garage sale for $6 last year and use it to catch squirrels. We may end up using it to catch bunnies if the idiots in my neighborhood release domestic rabbits after Easter like they did last year :smack

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
are you oposed to snaring it? We have never done it, but i know my son knows how to make a rabbit snare. that way you can have rabbit for dinner ( I have lots of recipes if you get that far)

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a snare. I just need the little sucker gone!! Between the deer and the rabbits my shrubs and bushes are a mess. I thought about setting a live trap near one of the exit/entrance tunnels but don't want to accidentally trap a skunk (of which there are PLENTY!)

Will have to research a snare.

Thanks!!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Use the live traps with lettuce, carrots and cabbage for bait. Make sure it is fresh every day. The only reason i suggest using a live trap is that any other traps may catch other animals. Skunks will spray, catching a neighbors animal and killing or wounding it may not make for good relations. If you happen to catch a skunk in a live trap then instantly cover it with a tarp or blanket and dump in a tub of water to drown.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
yes, but since the entrance/exits are known, setting up a snare in the high traffic area wil ensure the rabbit gets gone. and since it is near the deck, it can be monitored numerous times in a day. Placement of snares is everything, and since the paths are know, it should be successful. Other animals will not be using the rabbit entrance/exit. I say build a good snare. My son has made them, just never caught anything in them. He's better with his gun.