trapping rats

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my shed, I knew I had a problem, but didn't know how bad until I cleaned it up. I was down to the very last sheet of plywood to get out and I told the boys to get ready. They were 10 and 11 at the time and I had armed them with sticks, but the dog was with us....rat terrier. When I moved the sheet, the place was alive with rats and the boys started striking them dead, but the winner of the contest was Spot. As I can recall, one of the boys killed 5, one 6, I killed 7 and the dog got 23. In a shed, I wouldn't be afraid of using poison, but not in my house. I used to have a repeating rat trap and after seeing how the dog killed them, I wanted to keep her instincts alive, so I let him have whatever the trap caught.
I know they supposed to hate the smell of peppermint.....Well, on my part, I am just waiting for a trap to go off or for the repeating to come in, which I only ordered yesterday. Hope someone has some kind of inspiration for us though.
If my attic was made in such a way that I actually had useful space up there, and a good set of stairs, I'd make sure I kept it free of rats.....I'd be up there, making them uncomfortable.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome sumi.
Well, DS didn't tell me what he was up to, but he went out and bought poison. He said, the smell will go away eventually. He already threw a few big clumps of poison in the attic. He is supposed to throw some in both sheds, the trailer, the bus and the loft of the barn also.
I still have the repeating rat trap on the way.
DS also told me of a way Jamaicans got rid of rats, that sounds totally horrible in a sense......starve 2 of them, close together and then turn them loose on each other and the one that survives gets released. Apparently it turns cannibal. I said,"You learn something new everyday. Thats sure not what I was planning on learning though."

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you have a friend that has any type of terrier that you could borrow? I'd be looking for how they get into the house and trying to make it so they can't get in.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Awesome sumi.
Well, DS didn't tell me what he was up to, but he went out and bought poison. He said, the smell will go away eventually. He already threw a few big clumps of poison in the attic. He is supposed to throw some in both sheds, the trailer, the bus and the loft of the barn also.
I still have the repeating rat trap on the way.
DS also told me of a way Jamaicans got rid of rats, that sounds totally horrible in a sense......starve 2 of them, close together and then turn them loose on each other and the one that survives gets released. Apparently it turns cannibal. I said,"You learn something new everyday. Thats sure not what I was planning on learning though."
Yes, the smell will go away… EVENTUALLY. He has obviously not been in the same room with a long dead mouse yet lol No comment on the Jamaican method. Goodness, whoever thought that one out clearly had either too much time on their hands, or a serious rat problem. Or both?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
He claims its a historical fact. Thats nice, but I never heard it and now I can't unhear it. Create a serial killer rat. He said Jamaica no longer has a bad rat problem and that is why. I didn't ask him for his facts. Well, I don't get much company anyway.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No rat terrier... Gracie is an English Shepherd. I had two Westies at one time that were incredible rat killers, but I lost them...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not familiar with the breed. Just appraised DS of the conversation we have going. He went up in the attic and informed me all the bait is gone, but I heard something a few minutes ago. He didn't see any sign of life up there.....or of death. But I put the 10 gallon wine vat, with peanut butter and for added insurance, I stuck a few rabbit pellets to it. I used one of DS's arrows as the shaft and an icing container as the roller.
Of course, DS thinks I'm too late and asked what do I hope to accomplish, so I tell him, if I can catch 7 rats, that are dying anyway, at least we will have their corpses to dispose of, instead of enjoy the aroma of their rotting flesh.
He told me to get some pine cleaner and ammonia and not to invite anyone over for 3 weeks......nice. Now what am I suppose to say to that.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Years ago, we had a mouse we just couldn't catch in the basement. And as much as I hated to do it, I finally put out the poison. I had a bucket of water down there for some reason. The mouse fell into it and drowned. So, we had no smell and it was easy to get rid of.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD....maybe thats the ticket....water. Most poisons, claim they will get very thirsty, leave the house in search of water and drink until they die. Maybe if we'd put a large water access in the problem area, we wouldn't have dead rodents everywhere.
Well, its colder today and I hear things. I only put the vat and set the trap, but no water and I think I best put some. If I catch a rat and he doesn't drown, he will claw and scratch until he creates a hole.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If they already sick, I doubt it, but you right cuz I don't want to take that chance.
I'm late moving. I have been missing a lot of sleep lately and I took a melatonin. I almost took a nerve pill from an old Rx, but then remembered I want to apply for a job and don't need that in my system and have to start showing Rx bottles, etc.....so just did the melatonin....had the wildest dreams too.
But gotta get moving, see about drowning rats and feeding animals and maybe some flylady chores.
I will kick my own butt if my biggest vat has a hole in it.