Treadle Power!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am jealous. I had a treadle machine, but it was falling apart and I had zero skills with which to fix it, so I gave it to someone who could fix it/use it.

Now that I have learned to sew, I'm hoping that good karma makes its way back to me! :p

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Leta said:
I am jealous. I had a treadle machine, but it was falling apart and I had zero skills with which to fix it, so I gave it to someone who could fix it/use it.

Now that I have learned to sew, I'm hoping that good karma makes its way back to me! :p
Hey Leta:

Check out Craigslist!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great find! It looks very much like the 1906 Singer treadle that I found last year. Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it is a Singer with a Sears Roebuck label. I've been having fun with mine. I find that for little jobs having the treadle right there is very handy; my electric machine needs to be pulled out of its corner, and plugged in, etc. - usually more than I want to do for just a small job. Besides, the older machines are lovely pieces of art that I don't mind having on display; my 30 year old Montgomery Ward cheapy electric does the job, but is nothing special to look at :lol:

You might find this site useful - owners' manuals and spare parts for treadles: http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/page19.html

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it is a Singer with a Sears Roebuck label.
Ooooow, I would. The dealer stated (and the body of machine) state Minnesota which is an early Sears brand according to the advertisement that I have in my hand. Well, I guess my main thing is that it work and she demo'd it before we brought her home. Now I have to duplicate what she did, :lol:

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last night I found a SINGER treadle sewing machine as well as two others. I bought the Singer. It needs a good deal of TLC but works and even had the leather belt with it.

The one other machine I found (in the same place) had a top that fit over the machine. It too, worked but did NOT go down into the table. It was designed to stay on top. The other machine was one that came out of the table as you opened the lid. It had a chain mechanism that pulled the machine out of the table. I was nervous about pulling on it too hard but I realized that this was how it was designed so when I had finished pulling on it, the entire machine "came up" It appeared to be in OK condition but had obviously been sitting in a garage/barn for quite some time beause of the appearance of the treadle and wood work.

If ANY of you are interested in obtaining one of the ones I didn't buy, PM me and we'll see what we can do to help you. I can tell you that if you want it, the shipping will be an impressive thing but then that beats coming to SDAK to get it.

Trim sends
//BT//

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Geesh, I STILL haven't used mine. Since then we purchased a hand crank for Lee's daughter. Now, I've got to learn to use my treadle AND show her how to use her hand crank AND teach her to sew. ;)