Treadle Power!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was in high school in Ireland we had hand crank sewing machines in"Domestic Science" (ie Home Economics) class. I really disliked them; I always felt I was needing another hand - one to crank, and two to guide the fabric :lol:. Still, they were better than the other option, which was sewing the whole project by hand. Thinking about it though, I believe those old sewing machines just might have been the most modern things at that school :rolleyes: The school had come into being in 1706, and it seemed that the desks, at least, had been there from the beginning :lol: (One or two of the teachers as well :lol:)

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"(One or two of the teachers as well lol)"

:lol::lol::

Ireland, HOW COOL!! I have a fairytale affinity for the place. Really funny 'cause I'm Black and doubt there are many there. Even gave two of my daughters Irish names. :idunno :celebrate

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, there are the "Black Irish", but I don't think you mean that :lol: My father was one such - jet black hair, but very fair skin, and ice blue eyes - very handsome man. Supposedly the black hair was brought into the gene pool by shipwrecked Spanish sailors after the Spanish Armada was storm scattered while trying to invade Elisabeth I's England.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Supposedly the black hair was brought into the gene pool by shipwrecked Spanish sailors after the Spanish Armada was storm scattered while trying to invade Elisabeth I's England.
WOW, how cool. I love hearing of folks history and that's the ONE thing about being a Black American that sucks. Our history has been obliterated. But, enough of that, I don't want to hijack the thread. Oh wait, is it MY thread? Shucks, I forgot. :p :lol: Lee claims the Cherokee in his history. I like the Irish part. We have one of those "iggin" names and he only recently found out it is Irish :rolleyes:. He had a serious "Ah haaa" moment.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
Geesh, I STILL haven't used mine. Since then we purchased a hand crank for Lee's daughter. Now, I've got to learn to use my treadle AND show her how to use her hand crank AND teach her to sew. ;)
I have seen lots of treadle machines but never a hand crank. Frankly I don't think I could learn how to sew with one hand and turn a crank with the other!~gd

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Very cool ! Normal machines are okay, but I always want to go slower anyway, so I can get it right. A hand crank or foot treadle would be just right for me.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lee&lyric said:
~gd, I'll "try" to remember to post a pic if you'd like. Wait, I can simply put a link to one here . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimnaumann/3418994723/

They're cute. Since Pinky doesn't know how to sew or use a machine she has nothing to compare it to. Plus, she's a youngun'. She'll be fine.
Well I have been known to spin that wheel by hand to start or finish but I had never seen a crank on one. How odd!

Latest posts