treating a rabbit's eye

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got a pair of silver velveteen lops for DD1. It's a surprise for Christmas. Anyway, the guy offers to deliver so I take him up on it. Shows up with 2 rabbits but only 3 healthy eyes between the two of them. The one's eye is crusty and the eyelid is swollen.

I'm going to use a warm wet rag to clean up the eye and flush it out (as best I can) with sterile saline.

Any thoughts for what to do if it doesn't clear up? I'm probably not going to go to a vet if there are reasonable alternatives. It's not so much the money as the time. Who am I kidding, it's money too. And transportation is an issue. Keeping it a surprise adds an extra layer of problems.

Do you think the usual OTC triple-antibiotic in vasaline could make the problem worse?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, looked a little closer. Rabbit's not drooling and the eye isn't bulging out. The main symptoms are a swelling on the eyelid. The swelling in on the part of the eyelid nearer her nose. The eye looks fine, no odd colors or anything. The eyelid, on the other hand, is so red/pink I can see it through her fur. Doesn't seem to be sensitive to touch. She allowed me to use a warm rag to clean her up and didn't even protest when I irrigated with RT saline (probably feels cold).

Let me know if you have any advice.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She may have a scratch on the eyelid that's a bit infected. I think the saline is probably the best idea; I'd be afraid of using the neosporin type stuff so close to the eye

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Triple ATB ointment is fine on that eye and you can add some ACV to their water...if it's pink eye it will clear it all up in a few days. If it's a scratched eye, should also work well. Keep it clean of matting, keep the ointment on it until it stops draining and matting, then leave it alone and let nature happen.

That's the best advice I've got for you!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I applied some last night. Today there's basically no discharge. Either she's better or her sister has been grooming her. I guess that's common for rabbits. Anyway, the swelling may have gone down a bit---hard to tell. I washed the eye again today and put more of the stuff on it.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sounds like she scratched her cornea, likely poked her eye with a bit of hay or something.