Trees, Lumber, Forest Management for Diversity and Lumber, etc.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't see this topic anyplace else. anyone doing this? please talk about it. :) thanks!

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have about 30 acres of mixed hardwood. When asked what I burned as firewood I told them what I prefer was a mix of oak and hickory but that what I actually burn is what ever is dead ,dying or blown down.
Managing the understory is just as important as the big trees .

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually burn is what ever is dead ,dying or blown down.
We do this ^^

We have 8 acres of mixed hard and soft wood just for heat. We do have to barter some from a friend who has 40 acres (we help him cut and split his wood for winter and he let's us take what we need-he is almost 70 and has some heart problems)

We also take care of the undergrowth making sure buckthorn and similar do not choke out saplings.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I bought this land it had only a few trees at the very back...lowest of farm and a natural water run. I planted a few trees. The mini horses destroyed some of those! 😢

The land was a p-nut farm. So cleared. Over the years I planted grass, fenced portions at a time and birds, winds, etc., planted trees for me. 😁. Those I wanted were carefully missed when I mowed. Obviously, several are on fence lines -- but not all. As I remove and rework my cross fence, they are into the fields reapportioned.

It has taken years! I've been here 23 years now. But nice shade in pastures. Each year. I seem to manage to get a few "added". I no longer burn wood. DD does in her fireplace but, downed wood in surrounding -with permission- land has supplied that hardwood.

I live where international paper has thousands of acres. Also many farmers have acres of woodland where soils won't support crops. What a mess when they harvest!!

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My brother mills wood but he moved away from the home estate. He is still in Louisiana though. I am the one that ended up with the woods and orchard and I have bought property bordering what I have and want more.
Right now we have a massive cleanup to do because y’all can’t imagine what Hurricane Ida was really like. The ugliest monster I have seen in my 56 years….and I have seen a lot of monsters. I would imagine if my brother wanted to come down the bayou he could have lots of lumber and we could cord a bunch a firewood regardless just with the cleanup. But my brother really had milled back in our woods. My father had made a gym, Jacuzzi room and barn for his RV with the wood he got from it. It’s always a possibility.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The 25 acres I’m buying is practically all grass. I’ll be planting some trees for shade in the pastures. There are shade trees around the house.
Yummy, saplings deer and farm animals love them. Be sure and protect them best you can

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My brother mills wood but he moved away from the home estate. He is still in Louisiana though[...]

it's great to know someone who has a mini-mill if you have a woodlot. i used to have a friend with enough land and a mini-mill and he ended up building a house from his own trees. he was also into caving and so he also was carving a house out of his hillside - but i never got to see that before i moved away.