Trespassing?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
What is considered trespassing where you live? Have you ever had your boundaries violated? What is too close to comfort for you? What would you do if you caught someone trespassing?

Today a religious saleswoman (not sure what else to call them), stopped by and knocked on the door for a good couples minutes or so. I really had no desire to stand in the cold or be converted, so I stayed inside. Having not yet fulfilled her holy and charitable desires, she continued back down the walk, AROUND the deck, and made a COMPLETE circle around the entire house! All while with her sing-songy voice 'Yooo hooooo!!' :sick

Obviously she is not much of a threat. I could probably both outrun and outshoot her easily, but I was floored that someone would do that! We have a path into the woods from the backyard to some of the livestock - I don't want anyone down there causing trouble with the animals, or really anywhere besides the front of the house when I am not out there with them.

How do you feel about strangers on your property?

Please - Do not make this about religion; I want to hear everyone's answers on the topic of trespassing ONLY.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ANNOYED! I try to be pleasant but it bugs the heck out of me, if I want to be converted I will find you, If I want to buy something I will go to the store or shop online. Honestly it should be banned IMHO!

Right now our biggest issue is kids feeding our animals over the fence crap, I have seen popcorn and candy, ughhh. GO AWAY OR ASK, I am a really nice person but ASK. When I see them out there I just usually turn the doberman out and she runs them off :hide Hey it's posted NO TRESSPASSING AND Beware of dog and electric fence etc.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My SO is a police chief, and gets a touch paranoid when people come on the property. A little much, IMO, but oh, well. We have pepper spray at all doors and handy in the barn.

We do have druggie neighbors who have disreputable people living on trailers on their property. Two springs ago (mud season) someone looking for them (to buy from) drove down our barn driveway turned left and drove along the pasture fence and, of course, got stuck in the mud! Mega PIA! She radioed the state police to come collect their delinquent- then we had to get his car out of the mud. With a Rottie in the back seat (who turned out to be a sweetheart- I was worried about him).

Anyway, we are very tresspass sensitive.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a annual event here called the Pollett River Run.... it's where about 1000 drunk people make homemade rafts and float themselves a few miles down the flooding river on the last weekend of April. THOUSANDS of people invade our little valley to take pictures, drink and basically act like idiots. There are food vendors, up to 20 police cars, and chaos... in a valley with a population of 150.

We've had people wandering through our yard on that day, urinating on our cars, vomitting behind our shed, and throwing our wood around, that was the first year and I was home alone... I did go watch the rafts for a while, but when I was home I kept the lights off, doors locked and a dog tethered at each door. Last year my boyfriend sat at the end of the driveway with the truck parked across it, and a shot gun in his lap... no one came in the yard.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol:

I agree, kids coming over and feeding the animals would get VERY annoying. :smack

We had two kids over chasing the chickens one day a couple years ago. I honestly have NO idea who the people were. If that ever happened again I'd be sure to let the mean old Brahma rooster out.

The good thing about Izzy the dog, is that she sits out front of the house near the door. And she WILL attack when instructed, but this particular lady seems to have made friends with her and vise versa. WHY her? I have no idea.

1977 - I cannot believe that! :th

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd be upset too. IMO the front door is 'public access' so to speak, but I don't think anyone has the right to go beyond that, no matter what their selling.

We used to live in a trailer park (yeah I'm poor white trailer trash :/), and I went thru the roof :somad when the park owner & manager would go thru our yard (no fences allowed) & behind the trailer looking for violations of park rules (which happened to change atleast every year) & I'm not talking about safety issues here either. They were more concerned about upkeep, cleanliness & how it all "looked". The official rules in writing stated "not to be seen from the road". I felt they should have kept their inspections "from the road" and had violated certain tresspassing rules. Just because they owned the property our trailer set on (we rented the lot), didn't give them the right to access it at their discretion. I felt they could only go beyond the front door/public access IF and only IF there were danger/safety issues to the property or neighbors. There was a big fight over this (other residents too) and we won-they illegally tresspassed & never did that again.
For a comparison, when living/renting an apartment the owner or manager does not have the right to go into your rented living area without your permission unless there is some immediate danger/safety hazards (fire, water/gas shut off, etc).

Okay enough of my ranting :rant , and it's more than you asked. But if owners/managers of your property can't have free access, neither do strangers or solicitors.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Trespassers will be shot on sight. Survivors will be shot again. :clap