Tried and true bar soap recipes?

Budweiser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've done some searching but would also like to hear from personal experiences on some tested soap making recipes. Or if anyone could point me in a better direction I guess that'd work too. Thanks!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make goat milk soap. Use cold method (lo heat) and use all food grade product (lye, oils, etc). So what are you wanting?

Budweiser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure exactly, just a solid beginner soap to get my feet wet

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you find what you were looking for? I highly suggest you start out by checking out Soaping 101 on Youtube. Start with learning some background with the Culture of Soapmaking
and then go on to the Chemistry of Soapmaking
. Soaping 101 videos are really the best because Cathy McGinnis teaches technique and gives you recipes to practice with until you get some experience under your belt and learn to develop your own.

If you like her videos, you might want to join the Soaping 101 Study Hall group on Facebook. It might take a while to get in but it is a group with very experienced soapmakers who are very willing to help beginners get off on the right foot.

If you still need help, and have your equipment, I'm happy to give you some soap formulas. Just let me know.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I never made soap and don't have a recipe. I do have to say though that I love goat milk soap. DH and I stay in a Bed and Breakfast for a week one February and there were a couple of small bars in our room. They also sold them and I bought a couple. So if I had a vote, try goat milk soaps. I don't know if they are any harder or not but if I ever get some milk goats I plan on trying it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
from what I understand the goat milk replaces the water in soap recipes. I've only made goat milk soap, I actually need to make another batch. I am a newbie so don't have suggestions as I am still trying to figure it out! Have a little milk left in the freezer from last year.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
from what I understand the goat milk replaces the water in soap recipes. I've only made goat milk soap, I actually need to make another batch. I am a newbie so don't have suggestions as I am still trying to figure it out! Have a little milk left in the freezer from last year.

That's my understanding too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a tiny bit of goat milk in my freezer from last year but won't be kidding or milking this year. I was all sad but then realized it's probably just as well I practice with water, then if I mess up I didn't waste any milk!

Latest posts