Trouble with canning beans

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I let my pressure canner vent steam for the full 10 minutes, I have canned both the beans both cold and hot. I'm still loosing liquid from the jars no matter what changes I make. I'm not sure how to fix this problem. :barnie

Can anyone help me?

ETA: I'm canning pinto beans, black beans, navy beans, etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you loosing the liquid or are they soaking it up? What are you caning and do yo pre cook or soak?

just wondering?

gina

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Let it vent much, much longer--like 45 min. Good luck!
Vent it 45 minutes before I put on the weight and begin the canning time?

Tanks, I suspect they're still soaking some up but it's clear that the liquid is being pushed out of the jars during the canning process because the water in the canner has bean "juice" in it when canning is done. Also, at the end of processing, the beans at the top of most jars look dry and have less liquid than the few that canned correctly.

I've canned refried beans (not mashed yet), plain black beans, and beanie weanies (Boston baked beans with hot dogs). The beans for all recipes are soaked.
- The refried bean recipe called for canning them cold. Jars sealed but I lost liquid so for the
- black beans, I followed the Ball Blue book instructions and boiled them for a bit, made sure I vented the full 10 minutes before adding the weight, and put beans in while hot but they still lost liquid. The jars still sealed.
- The beanie weanies beans were fully cooked (baked for hours!) and beans and dogs were boiling hot when I added them to the jars. I lost liquid and none of those jars sealed.

I can't see the common denominator.

The only other thing I can think of might be the temp. I did let the temp get higher than the 10lbs of pressure the recipe called for as I was adjusting the temp but it never got higher than 13 lbs of pressure, I'm sure.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ChickenPotPie said:
The only other thing I can think of might be the temp. I did let the temp get higher than the 10lbs of pressure the recipe called for as I was adjusting the temp but it never got higher than 13 lbs of pressure, I'm sure.
Yep. :/ I really hated my cheap electric stove. I am reallyreallyreally hoping I do better with gas. (OFG, did you cut the cheese AGAIN???)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were referring to green beans :) My canner needs to fully vent without weight for 10 min, then add weight, then adjust heat until the weight jiggle about 4 times per min, start time and keep the pressure at the 4-times-jiggling-per-minute temp. Hope that helps.

Latest posts