Trying to decide on a dehydrator

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have narrowed our search down to the Weston P1000 stainless steel or either the Excalibur 3900 or the 2900. Any thoughts or experience's with any of these?

Monica

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could've swore there was a thread on here where people commented on different dehydrators (pros and cons), but I couldn't find it. That could be because I am technology inept though :p

I have an Excalibur 3900. I absolutely love it and use it all the time. I could not believe the difference between it and my old round one. I dehydrate things I never used to (frozen veggies, on sale - one bag fits on one tray. Spread them out, frozen, crank it up, and there ya go! DH is crazy about the taco rocks I make with it too) and have yet to put it away since pulling it out of the box! On the down side, it is large and takes up quite a bit of counter space. It also says you can use it for raising bread, but I didn't like the way it does it (It rises fine, but - no matter what I did - the top of the loaf dried out :/ ).

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had many cheap dehydrators over the years....the coil thing at the bottom would often go when cleaning.(did a lot of jerky)..
then I got a nesco.....great for cleaning...
but round and only so many trays...not completely even drying and loud...
last year...went for an excalabur think I went for the 2900...anyways...has a 10 year warrenty..and 9 trays...
best decision...
makes the process so much easier...(just fold sheets and pour in jars)
really reallly recomend going for it....

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. The few years that I have been really researching it that is what I kept coming up with. When my kids were little I had a round one. I didn't use it much because you had to keep turning and repositioning things so they would dry uniformly. And it was SUCH a hassle to remove ALL of the trays to get to the one you wanted. I had to keep rotating trays also. Finally it warped from being stored.

So now I just need to decide on the 2900 or the 3900.
Monica