trying to save a grape vine

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a grape vine that I am trying to save. It looks like a couple of sticks in a root ball. I have high hopes that I can save it and that it isnt completely dead. does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about bringing her back to life.

Liz

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wish I could help. I kill every grape vine I get :/

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We need more details. What do you know of the history of the plant you have? Did you have the grape planted somewhere on your property, and did you dig it up? How big is the root ball? Are there any leaves on the "sticks"? Has the root ball always been kept damp while it's been out of the ground? Are there root fibers showing themselves (growing out of the root ball)? Have you kept the root ball shaded (such as enfolded in damp burlap)?

Also, what kind of soil and sun-exposure possibilities do you have available for transplanting into?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel brings up an excellent point about needing more information! ;)

The only other thing I can think of is: are the roots and twigs still alive? If the twigs break/snap easily when you bend them, they are dead.

I have had some of my wild Muscadine vines die off but resprout from the main trunk before though.