TSC Farmer's Market Day?

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A local Tractor Supply has their market day coming up.
Thinking about jumping in!

I know that I can use it as advertisement. We're new, establishing, and don't have a farm stand up yet. I want connections!
I can:
Make a bunch of feed sack bags.
Have some canned pickles I can jazz up.
Potentially have time to knit or sew other items.
Advertise I have some birds for sale.
Baked goods.

What do you think?
Suggestions?
Market experience?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no experience. But, my advice: If you TAKE any of your birds to sell, I'd be leery of bringing them back. We have a closed flock. It's my intention: once a bird leaves my property, it DOES not return.

Do you intend to be able to supply produce/products at all times, or only on a seasonal, and when supplies and inspiration both meet at the same time basis? Something to think about. I sell eggs, (at the peak of the season, perhaps 9 dz/week) I find that when my production drops, and my regular customers no longer get their eggs from me: Some are eager to start buying eggs again when production picks back up. While others get used to the cheap price and inferior flavor of store bought eggs again. It's like starting all over again to develop a market.

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Right, I intend to keep my fluffy butts at home. I am uncertain if it would even be legal to take my for sale birds with me, so I'll simply advertise the availability.

Currently my egg production is too low to sell outside the friend circle. Hopefully that will be remedied for next spring. If I build awareness of the homestead, I imagine it'll help bring more customers to me when we can sell to them.

The market event is free, in case anyone wonders. I dont think I'm ready to pay for any advertisement at all, so this event seemed a good way to dip toes in.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With no entry fee, all you are losing is your time. If you bring something to do with you (hand work of some type) at least you will have something to do if no one stops by. I don't know if this is an established Market Day, but if it's new it can take quite a while to develop a customer base, so don't be disheartened. I think something has to be around for several months at least, while people keep saying "I should check that out" and then don't.

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The TSC market happens about four times a year, I believe.
I've never been to one, I've just always eyeballed the fliers.

I know I'm not ready for a weekly thing, that our bigger cities have. Some day I hope to be!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our TSCs have monthly sale days. Some areas well attended, others not. So -- until you go it's just "what if". If not taking your birds at least have good pictures. Let me tell you, most that sell do so right there, right then.

At ours the trucks come in, set up side by side, put out tables, cages, shade tent, etc. and wait for customers. Good weather helps.:D I see all types, sizes, ages of birds, sometimes dogs or cats, rabbits, goats, occasional mini horse or pony, llama, etc. Yes, eggs for hatching, or those for eating; misc farm items sometimes, as well as some things as you suggest --- cups, bags, blankets, cages, etc...some new, some not. Occasionally some tack shows up, often gently used. :idunno

DellaMyDarling

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Are you in a big agricultural area, @Mini Horses ?
Im wondering how much location changes things.

I know I have some older riding gear that needs to go. Worried about turning my set up into a tag sale though.
I think I need to find out about bringing live animals.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm ag bordering a huge urban community. :idunno

50 miles from Va Beach coastline. As you get further out, yes more ag properties. Between the actual farmers & the townhouses, there are areas of big houses on small acreage, 5 or so acres. Couple horses, etc. There are some boarding stables, etc. So, a mixed group.

Sometimes you just need to visit a time or two to get a feel for what/where the various set-ups are and attendance. It's a challenge but, a good place to start! Closer in to urbanville you see a lot of chickens/rabbits, etc. sold. Even the eggs, canned goods. Further out, you get to the "livestock" types. I've seen piglets at the sales -- both feeder &/or pet types & several goats in Spring-- Both kid & adults.

You can/do get people who may want what you have at home, that's why pics -- at very least -- are important.

Latest posts