TSHTF Plan

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a binder that contains checklists under categories such as Wildfire, Earthquake, Winter Storm, Nuclear Emergency, Grid Down, etc. Each category contains a checklist as it pertains to our family, and the preferred order of action.

The binder is a work in progress and not yet complete. Sometimes items are added or deleted depending on new acquisitions or changing circumstances. That way, (hopefully) we don't forget something under stress. We hope to eventually cover everything from extra water, to grabbing the boxes of photos.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 3 ring notebook but admit it's not very organized (yet!). When I find something interesting regarding emergency prep, I print it, punch 3 holes, & stick it in the notebook. Right now it's kind of a mish-mash of things.

One thing I do is keep track of my food storage on a spreadsheet on my netbook; it's so much easier to add/subtract using it. I also have a list of "easy" recipes using food storage & always make sure I have those ingredients in storage.

I don't have things broken down by emergency, but that's a good idea. Especially useful to have a checklist for a bug-out situation.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have all my major info printed out stuffed in my cookbook (totally unorganized) I do have a ton of stuff saved offline in wordfiles and they are organized on my laptop... I'm planning on getting a solar charger so if the power is gone I can still fire it up to get the rest of the info I need... we also have a generator and try to keep fuel for it so I could still access my laptop in an emergency...

As for a plan we don't really have one... because there is no way to really prepare for every senerio without seriously having a nervous breakdown thinking about it all... I just try to have enough supplies for just about anything I can think of... and I'm trying to teach myself to make as much stuff from scratch that I can... even if I never need the skill I think it's still good to know just in case...

I'm working on getting as many oldfashion kitchen utensils as possible... like a hand grinder and cast iron cookware... I already have a few garden hand tools... and have a sickle on my wish list... so I could harvest hay by hand for the animals if needed...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I collect books on anything useful for self reliance.I print lots of stuff from online and have one of those big old four deep draw filing cabinets where i keep it all.Its old fashioned and bulky to keep info this way, but its there when you need it...!
Like CrimsomRose, i also look for old useable kitchen stuff.I find some pretty neat garden tools, kitchen cookware, etc at yard sales...
I'm always adding to my food storage,lately its been whole local corn from work intended for chickens.This particular batch was real nice field run from a local farmer.I try making cornbread with it, it was very nice.50# bags are 9.50...so i'm stashing like 4-5 hundred lbs in mylar bags & oxygen absorbers.
They only have soft red wheat locally for about 19.50 for 50lb.waiting for a freh batch to come in from Penn.Its probably cheaper in the wheat belt, but i'm a long ways from there..! I made a batch of cornbread with the red soft wheat and local corn, i loved it...
I'm trying to find a affordable source for hrd red or white wheat for yeast baking, no luck with that yet.
Have beans and rice, trying to round out along term food stash....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I have an extensive library of books plus on the puter a folder filled with my favorite Mother Earth, Backwoods Home, Grit and Countryside articles. I need to print em.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We have a binder that contains checklists under categories such as Wildfire, Earthquake, Winter Storm, Nuclear Emergency, Grid Down, etc. Each category contains a checklist as it pertains to our family, and the preferred order of action.

The binder is a work in progress and not yet complete. Sometimes items are added or deleted depending on new acquisitions or changing circumstances. That way, (hopefully) we don't forget something under stress. We hope to eventually cover everything from extra water, to grabbing the boxes of photos.
Wow, you are way over organized. Where do you get the time for all that?
I am impressed. We could all benefit from such planning. It is encouraging to see that your list of issues included the most likely and obvious to the most severe.
I was working at scanning all the family photo's to CD and putting them in several places so they would be preserved regardless of the "issue". CD's are easier to haul in an emergency. :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I was working at scanning all the family photo's to CD and putting them in several places so they would be preserved regardless of the "issue". CD's are easier to haul in an emergency. :D
Excellent project. We purchased a $25 printer/scanner/copier from Wally World a few years back (of course the ink cartridges are $35 and the thing runs through them like... never mind). Over the winter that my live in father-in-law was under hospice care, one of us had to be here 24/7. We took that time to scan our photos. We kept two master DVD copies, sent my son in N.O. LA a copy, and then divided up the photos into his family/her family DVDs and sent those out to the appropriate family members. That way if any family group were to lose theirs, another would be able to make copies.

The SHTF binder we have is a result of 10 years of volunteering with the county and state Emergency Management Agencies as a Ham Radio Emergency Coordinator.

Did I mention that I am retired and have A LOT of time on my hands. ;)

ETA: I meant to give you a suggestion regarding scanning the photos. If you are not already doing so, I suggest adding a file (or files) that describes the who, What, When, and Where of each photo. That way, as future generations look at them, they'll be able to reference the contents. We already have photos passed down from my parents and grand parents, that we can not identify all of the people in the photos. We saved the info as Excel, Word, and ASCII Text files, and included the files on each DVD. Just a thought.

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When my oldest daughter was getting ready to go of to college., I put together a little manual that had a lot of different types of information in it. There was a section on being careful about identity theft and protecting herself from harm. There was also a section about what to do in various emergency situations.

She went to college in town but would be staying in the dorms, so for some emergencies, the advice was to get home as quickly as possible. or others, the advice was to stay put and that we would pick her up.

For us at home, I am essentially the keeper of the manual. I do the bulk of the research and assign certain manual labor items to my husband. He is great at fixing things and is quite efficient with tools.

I do have a sheet of things that need to be done in the event of a blizzard to make sure that my chickens and quail fare alright. Since I am the primary keeper of the critters, the list is more to jog my memory.

For other things, we tend to play games where we talk our way through a situation. These exercises have demonstrated to me that my children have level heads and can be counted on in an emergency situation.