Turkey toms/hens???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Look like jakes to me also, Free. I know they were cheap for their breed but the breeder needs a phone call. Looks like Thanksgiving and Christmas are taken care of, anyway! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't call the person a "breeder," just a backyard person with a pair who raised a pair.....who answered my craigslist ad looking for a breeding trio. She wanted to sell me her 2-yr olds, but I was looking for BR's. She was hoping to get rid of all four turkeys, but I found a BR pair so I just took the "hens." I don't think she is the type who would like to know that they are gonna be dinner! I'll just leave it alone. Why cause distress if I don't need to, I am sure she was convinced they were hens.

If they were from a breeder, I'd be at the doorstep demanding an exchange!

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry your "girls" are toms. But on the bright side I bet they are going to be some good eating! yummm :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask my neighbor to do the deed in exchange for one of them. The other I will use as canning practice, just in case we get a bunch of poults to raise up. Then my dad said he'd come and butcher for me, I'll probably help with the plucking to get myself one step closer to doing it myself one day. Then we will can up a bunch and freeze some, and he will take half home with him. That is the plan. You know what can happen to plans, though! :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I will tell you how we do turkeys here in the hills, Free. We butterfly the breast, flour it and fry it. Soup the rest. Best meat you will ever taste is that turkey breast. Its the only meat my parents have touched in over 15 years! Every spring they turkey hunt and treat themselves to a batch of turkey breast and send the rest of the bird to me! :) That way you won't have to pluck....just skin it and cut it up! ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do you mean bone the breast and butterfly each half? Clueless here, but gettin' hungry!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, just cut those breasts right off your carcass and cut them into butterfly cutlets. Roll it in flour with a little cornmeal in it. You will need no tenderizer. It will melt in your mouth! :drool

We then proceed to quarter the turkey and freeze the quarters for making soup later. I would now take it a step further and boil that ribcage/spine/neck down for the stock and freeze it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH Free!! I need one of those Toms!! :p I have ONE hen that looks just like them!