Turkey topic, questions welcome

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hey Steve! You're over here! Cool!

I got a question, since you happen to be handy. I have several miscellaneous turkeys (BSW, Narragansett, Ridley bronze) -- one is 4 months old, three are 7 months old, and one is a year and a half ish.

THey are currently living in my chicken bldg, which because of its design even by early December it will be *barely* down to freezing in there, if that. (THis year, probably not even down to freezing).

I would like to move them to a not-yet-built pen in my barn, which by early Dec will be getting down to the teens F at night.

Do you think that's going to be a problem for them, going suddenly (there's no way to do it gradually) from barely-freezing nights to coldish nights?

Also, the youngest (actually it will be 4 1/2 months by early Dec) has never been outside. Will it be ok to just put it in with the others and let it have access to the to-be-built run off the barn pen? It's the sunny heat-trap side of the barn and totally sheltered from winds, but it is still going to be *winter* here by Dec.

I just do not know how suddenly they can cope with these things.

Thanks for whatever advice,

Pat

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
here's one for ya...

what the heck!?! one of my BR hens is LAYING. now. this late in the season. what is going on? its too late for me to let her set a nest, isnt it??

beside "turkeys are crazy" - any reason why she's doing this?

:)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Gosh, I hate to throw a third question at you, but I need advice about how to successfully raise the babes....I hear it is hard and want to know the secret to not losing any before I order some. And what would you mail order from where, if you were a turkey beginner?

Do you feel needed yet? :D

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
here's one for ya...

what the heck!?! one of my BR hens is LAYING. now. this late in the season. what is going on? its too late for me to let her set a nest, isnt it??

beside "turkeys are crazy" - any reason why she's doing this?

:)
Mine did too last fall. Kinda like my goose is laying now. :D Just EAT 'em!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woo hoo!!!

I got one. I have a breeding trio of Bourbon Reds. My first time every with turkeys. I would like to move them from an enclosed run/house to my orchard area which is also home to my 25 chickens. This are is about 1/2 acre and newly fenced. I wish I could have done this sooner but not the case. They are now almost 22 weeks. I was going to clip their wings. Do you think their gonna freak out? Will the great outdoors scare them? To compound the problem my Tom only has one good eye, I think.

Any opinions???

gina

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Here's a simple one, which will prove to you just how little i know about turkeys. :p

Can they freerange with my chickens and ducks? Cuz hubs and I have been pondering them, but really don't have an enclosed area for them and really don't want to build one.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If I free ranged a trio of turkeys do you think they would take up with the wild ones in my area???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is my question from the other thread. I thought it would be better here.

I got my two turkeys as yearlings two years ago and have not gotten a single poult from the silly things. I'm trying to decide whether to give up or give them more time or what.

She lays eggs, but only made a nest once and in a spot that got full sun during the hottest part of the day when temps were over 100 F every day at the time. I moved her to a nice protected spot under a tree and she abandoned it, but first pooped on all the eggs so I couldn't even consider running out to buy an incubator.

I mostly find her eggs on the ground in the middle of the open area where she happened to be walking.

She sat on 30 chicken eggs last Feb-Mar and almost raised six chicks. Then hubby got amorous and came over the wall and smooshed four of the chicks. I moved the last two and a rat got them....then my dog got the rat. Good times.

So I've fed these two for two years and they've given nothing in return. I am torn between turkey broth and getting a couple more females so there will be more eggs at once and more chances of someone going broody. Or it may then be worthwhile to get/make an incubator....but I really don't want more work, I want the hen to do the work.

I rarely see heritage turkeys available, but once in a while I do, but it would probably be a Narragansett or a Royal Palm, that is what I've seen advertised for a reasonable price.

We are pinching pennies here right now otherwise I'd just buy some more birds. I really would like to have more pasture raised turkeys....two of my original three hens turned out to be toms so we ate 'em! So now I really know what I am missing!!!! Help! tongue

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Hey Steve! You're over here! Cool!

I got a question, since you happen to be handy. I have several miscellaneous turkeys (BSW, Narragansett, Ridley bronze) -- one is 4 months old, three are 7 months old, and one is a year and a half ish.

THey are currently living in my chicken bldg, which because of its design even by early December it will be *barely* down to freezing in there, if that. (THis year, probably not even down to freezing).

I would like to move them to a not-yet-built pen in my barn, which by early Dec will be getting down to the teens F at night.

Do you think that's going to be a problem for them, going suddenly (there's no way to do it gradually) from barely-freezing nights to coldish nights?

Also, the youngest (actually it will be 4 1/2 months by early Dec) has never been outside. Will it be ok to just put it in with the others and let it have access to the to-be-built run off the barn pen? It's the sunny heat-trap side of the barn and totally sheltered from winds, but it is still going to be *winter* here by Dec.

I just do not know how suddenly they can cope with these things.

Thanks for whatever advice,

Pat
Turkeys are pretty tough birds, the older ones should not be a problem at all. I would just watch the weather and try to pick a warm spell and move them. Since they don't know the new area they will be trying to get back to the old place. You are more than likely going to have to round them up at night. For the young one it might be better to leave it in with the chickens for the extra warmth.

Steve