Turkeys 2021

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial. I would have to study it for a week, then sit down and write it down several times before I could wrap my head around it. Always open to new brain cramps.

Do you remember any specifics about the cherry seeds? Sweet, sour? Mature tree size? Likely to breed true? Name of the cultivar? Also, what's your growing zone? I'm 4B.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial. I would have to study it for a week, then sit down and write it down several times before I could wrap my head around it. Always open to new brain cramps.

Do you remember any specifics about the cherry seeds? Sweet, sour? Mature tree size? Likely to breed true? Name of the cultivar? Also, what's your growing zone? I'm 4B.
Natural dwarf possibly getting to 10' - 12" tall. Mine are on dwarfing roots and are only about 6' tall.

Evans Bali aka Evans or Bali. Tart cherry makes unbelievable cherry jam. Likely to breed true. Most places list my zone as 4 or 5. I had a discussion with Arbor Day and they agreed that the listing for my zone is incorrect. At the best I am a very cold zone 4 while at the worst I could be considered zone 2. I try for things that will grow in zone 3.

Two things unrelated to the zones that make it very difficult to grow things are 1. alkaline soil and water and 2. January and February thaws followed by sub zero temperatures.

I normally have a craigslist ad up for free trees, shrubs, roses etc. by this time but everything is still white out. I am currently at 43 7/8" of snow for the month.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get that cultivar info written down, and put it in a very safe place... where I am sure to promptly loose it.. Our climate has warmed up a lot in the past decade. I also think it helps that we've taken down a lot of trees, so get more sunlight. Surrounded by trees, which creates a bit of a buffer, as well. This winter, and last have been quite mild. We also get a Jan/Feb thaw which brings the pussywillows out, then... we get a bunch of single digit days/nights. So far, my fruit trees have not been adversely affected. There are some Magnolia trees in town. I am always shocked when their buds swell to mammoth proportions during the thaws, but... they invariably survive that early warm spell and manage to bloom.

Our soil tends to be acid, so the cherries should grow well here, if I can find a spot where they won't have wet feet.