turkeys and chickens

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe they won't hang out under your window and "warn" you every time the wind blows ;)

I'm down to just 4 in my main group, and I have to keep them locked up most of the day so they don't sit on the neighbors' deck and drive him to running out with a shotgun.

I keep telling myself that someday they will get some sense and be useful for an alarm and maybe even to warn of snakes. And telling myself to NOT just get it over with and eat them. They can drive you crazy, LOL. But I have about six months invested in them and they ARE starting to be able to figure out how to go back through the gate to get in their pen. Sometimes. (Keeping in mind the gate has been in the same place since they were baby keets and they JUST went out the very same gate!). And they do come running when I drive up and stand in the pasture and scream at me. So there is hope, I think.

Time is worth a lot to me since I usually buy baby animals, so I hate to set myself back in that regard. But the sake of my sanity does tempt me some days.

I hear they are tasty. And they already did a great job on the garden bugs last summer and the excess grasshoppers we had a near-plague of. :) If that's all I wanted from them, there are always keets available next year. ;)