Turkeys are Fragile

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
pinky, turks really are dumb, but they are my favorites around here. I just love my turks!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They didn't get any brains that is for sure. I just hope I can keep them until the un killable phase :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never raised turks, but I've heard that they'll stand out in the pouring rain and look up and drown. Any truth to this?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've never raised turks, but I've heard that they'll stand out in the pouring rain and look up and drown. Any truth to this?
Not literal truth that I've seen, but that is a fine example of how dumb they really are.

I thought one of mine was missing a bit ago. I kept hearing a call from the neighbors yard, but all mine are accounted for here. It must be a wild one :hu We hear a big gobbler back behind the house a lot of times, and Tom will argue with him back and forth :lol: There have been several young poults hit in the road lately. Some female had a clutch hatch back here. Dunno how many, but they are encroaching on our place. Fine with me if they wanna stay ;)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I just want to have some to breed next year, and one for the holidays :D I don't hear the wild ones, they arew behind us but I never hear em. You will see them occasionally though...

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
No, that's about dumb owners, not dumb turkeys. When turks are in the last stages of hypothermia, their necks bow back, which in this case makes them look up as if looking at the rain that their dumb owners didn't provide protection from. By the time they are at this stage, it is far too late to save them.

Generally these are fairly young turkeys, as the full grown adults are tough as nails. One winter I tried to bring some Bourbon Reds in out of a snow storm. As soon as I was back inside, they were right back out in it.