Turkeys killing chickens

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have 7 adolescent turkeys. In the adjoining enclosure we have the small/injured bird area. In that we had 3 of the cutest little what we think might have been easter eggers ( long story) a top hat hen, white silkie hen and an injured chicken. Everything was fine until we moved this new injured hen into the enclosure. Anytime we move birds around, we hang out to make sure everyone is going to be nice and everything seemed just fine, for several days even. The turkeys would frequent over to the small bird side ( it was just a half fence between them ) and it was still fine. Then, one day I look out the window and there is this mosh pit of feathers flying. There were multiple small injuries but nothing serious. My sweet husband put a full fence between the enclosures to keep the turkeys out, but they are crafty. We had a few more days of fence patching and thought it was all taken care of. Then, I go this morning and there is a turkey tom in with the small birds, one of my easter eggers ( ?) is dead and another is mortally injured. I don't get it. The culprits are a breed of wild bronze and are very sweet with me and the other turkeys. My royal palms are as sweet as can be and are currently sharing space with a pair of wild rabbits. They happily eat out of the same dishes at the same time. Are bronze turkeys just more aggressive? Do I need to plan on personal size turkeys for Thanksgiving this year? Any chance they will grow out of this? Maybe just troublesome teens?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'd separate them permanently from everything else.

my turkey hen chases everything that comes into the pen...including one of my biggest roos and our barncat. and i had some very very mean jakes once (they went to the pot) who terrorized everyone.

someone i know had a tom turk that killed his rooster.... in the worst way. ahem. and that is all i'm sayin' about that.

dont assume that just because the turks are "sweet" to you they arent trying to dominate or be territorial with other animals. and no they wont outgrow it, if anything it will get worse. the turks will grow at a faster rate than the hens and will quickly outpace them putting them at an even bigger disadvantage.

sorry about the hens
:-(