Turkeys?

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't checked in for a while!

I've settled on getting some Bourbon Reds and White Hollands next year. I'll butcher all the Hollands and save the best quality trio of Bourbons.

The problem is that the place I am ordering them from only starts selling the birds mid-way through June as day old poults. Do you think they'll have enough meat on them at five months to eat for Thanksgiving? I would only want one or two for the feast, and the rest I would happily wait to butcher.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't checked in for a while!

I've settled on getting some Bourbon Reds and White Hollands next year. I'll butcher all the Hollands and save the best quality trio of Bourbons.

The problem is that the place I am ordering them from only starts selling the birds mid-way through June as day old poults. Do you think they'll have enough meat on them at five months to eat for Thanksgiving? I would only want one or two for the feast, and the rest I would happily wait to butcher.

Heritage breeds no... They need more time than 5 months. My experience is 1 year minimum.

Last edited:

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Heritage needs no... They need more time than 5 months. My experience is 1 year minimum.
Okay, maybe I'll get a couple Broad-Breasted poults for this year, and next year is when the fun will start! Thanks!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At auction Sat, plenty of turkey. Mostly sold at aver of $25 ea and were ready to butcher. Some broad breasted whites were huge! A trio of Narrangassette looked small for age stated. Nope, didn't buy any. All I saw was guts and feathers. :oops:

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Food Lion started it with Turkeys $0.29 a pound with $35 order. Publix wants $0.39 a pound with no strings attached. Walmart $0.69 a pound. Harris Teeter and Lowes Foods will have their ads out on Wednesday. Walmart had already dropped Sweet Potatoes from $0.99 to $0.67 a pound. Hopefully Harris Teeter wiil offer them for $0.19 a pound, again year. Last year bought around 400 lbs. Some to give away, some bought for family & friends and the rest for our use.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll grab a couple turkeys at the low prices, just not buying a lot of other stuff as I don't need it. Sweet taters always on my radar. I'll probably do a canner full while cheap loss leaders at the store. Once washed they don't store well raw but, those jars work.