Turning a dog pen in to a quail pen/greenhouse

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am just getting started, but I wanted to show the steps in case anyone else has similar materials available.

The kennel was FREE. My neighbor let her house go in to foreclosure after she lost her job and told me to take it so the bank wouldn't.

Since I don't have a dog, I had to find another way to use it. Broody pen for the ducks was a potential candidate and I did put a duck pair in it before I sold them, but the quail need new digs and my plants are taking over the house...hence the quail pen/greenhouse idea.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=52495&id=1398880757&l=c1f81f1997

Money spent so far...

Pen: Free
PVC conduit: 8 pieces @ 93 each = $7.44
Zip ties: 3 packs @ $1.74 each = $5.22
Deer netting for cover: $20
Plastic hardware cloth liner: ???? (It was leftover from a roll I bought last year. No idea how much I paid so I will add that in when I buy more).

Still need to get a plastic cover so it will work as a green house in early and late spring. I may just get a white tarp, but we will see what I find next time I go to the store.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is a wonderful idea!! I see those dog pens for sale on cl all the time. They aren't cheap either. Great score!

It gives me some good ideas in getting my own greenhouse up and running, thanks!

:thumbsup

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing all these neat green houses, and thinking about getting extra old windows or building hoop houses, etc....and how I couldn't afford them and how much materials would cost...

Well DUH! I already had what I needed. Just had to wait for inspiration to strike :p Don't you feel so stupid when an answer is right in front of your face for months and you are too slow to see it? :rolleyes:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The one pic has a hoop that is bent perfectly. That is gray PVC?
Def great score!

I had quail briefly. Like 15 hours. I had built an 8'x4'x4' cage of 1" chickenwire, 2x4's and in the morning all 25 were gone. They were too big to fit through the 1" gauge. There were feathers here and there. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm getting one for $20 once the ground thaws....I'm also getting a bunch of used bricks, so I want to borrow a truck just once. I can't wait to get it now. Now I have to decide what I will do with it....I love the greenhouse idea, it could also extend my season in the fall, maybe....

Broody pen this spring....

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That is gray PVC?
3/4" PVC electrical conduit. Not sure where I read it, but someone says the electrical conduit is more UV resistant than the white stuff.

I love the greenhouse idea, it could also extend my season in the fall, maybe
It should give you at least a few extra weeks on both ends of the growing season.

For me, I am not sure what will happen in fall. The quail will be out there full time after Spring. The only reason they are inside is because the person I got them from was raising them indoors.

Quail are more interested in seeds and bugs than plants, but there is still a chance they could rip in to them. I will have to see :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla, that is a great way to recycle and re purpose. What do you do with your Quail. Do you eat them?

just wondering.

gina

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The quail I have (coturnix) are great egg layers. I only have 4 so far (3 girls 1 boy), but eventually when I get to the point where I am worrying about excess roos, there will be some bbq :D

Until then I just enjoy their singing, curse their messiness, and eat their cute, delicious little eggs.