Turnip slaw

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I realize this sounds weird but I have an over abundance of turnips ,I ground one up in the food processor and tasted it,,,wife thought it tasted a bit like cabbage so we decided to try slaw made from turnips,Using all the ingredients we made up a batch and was really surprised,It has a bit of a horse radish /garlic taste and is really good on hot dogs and such,Has anyone ever tried this ?if not give it a try,you will be pleased with the flavor,Just don't use as much and you would cabbage slaw...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, thanks! We have oodles of turnips in the garden yet, so I'll have to try this.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't like cooked turnips either but I'm definately going to make a me-sized batch of this and give it a try!

Thanks fisherman! :hugs

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORchick- perfect timing! I am just wondering what I can do with all the rutabaga still out in my garden! Thanks!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made a big bowl of turnip slaw for the in-laws Thanksgiving dinner. I was afraid it wouldn't be eaten, but even the younger people liked it. Hubby wants to try it on hot dogs. Guess I'll have to hurry up and use up all the leftover turkey and ham so he can have his wish.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always liked raw turnips... a little like radishes; I've never tried a slaw or soured though. Gonna have to try that when my turnips come up.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Lesa said:
ORchick- perfect timing! I am just wondering what I can do with all the rutabaga still out in my garden! Thanks!
I'd be happy to trade some of my greens for your rutabagas if I was closer. :drool The store ones are all waxed (yuck). I gotta grow 'em next year.