two harvest questions

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never grown spaghetti squash before. I have read conflicting info about when to harvest. I know the skin has to harden to store it, but at what stage can you pick it for immediate use? One group says anytime, the other says if you pick it early it is no good.

The other query is about watermelon. I know they should be heavy for their size, have a yellow belly, and sound hollow. Are there any other indicators of when one is ripe?

If any of you could help me with either of these questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I can't help you with #1, as I've never grown it. As to #2, also look for the vine detaching a bit from the melon. If it is still completely, firmly attached and if you would have to work to get the melon off, it's probably not ripe. We just mess around a bit with the melons, rolling them to test this, and if they pop off they're ready :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, me&thegals

Anyone have an answer to #1?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We use the same test for the spaghetti squash,plus, the skin has to turn yellow before you even think about testing them for coming off the vine. We have been battling powdery mildew this season on every single squash and zucchini we planted. :he :he

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
skr8pn--I hear that spraying with milk gets rid of the mildew...

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
skr8pn--I hear that spraying with milk gets rid of the mildew...
I found out the hard way that it has to be FRESH milk, can't be pasteurized. I got some anti-bacterial spray on them and the Zucc's are starting to get new growth, but the spaghetti squash ain't lookin' so good. The Acorn squash are all done. We managed to get about a dozen off before the vines gave up.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
We use the same test for the spaghetti squash,plus, the skin has to turn yellow before you even think about testing them for coming off the vine. We have been battling powdery mildew this season on every single squash and zucchini we planted. :he :he
Thanks SKR8PN. Sorry to hear about your p m problem. Surprisingly, that is one thing I haven't had trouble with this year, and it has been quite wet.

The variety of squash I have is an older variety and I have read that they have less beta carotene in them and aren't as orange. Do you think that makes a difference in the color?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Even the older varieties have to turn more yellow before they are ripe.
have you tested any of your yet? Ours aren't quite ready yet.......

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. No, I haven't as they are still white. I am getting impatient.

Latest posts