uh oh, I left my potato sets and onion sets in the car for a few days.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the temps were around 30 degrees and night, maybe lower, not a hard freeze, but for sure a freeze occurred

don't really know if the inside of the car stayed slightly warmer?

any how..

best guess

will these grow?
or do I need to run out get more sets before they all gone?

(I thought I could grow one in a glass in side for a quick check(but that will still take a few days I am guessing)...they look pretty good, but I don't want to go to all the work of planting and waiting only to find I have nothing...when I really should have been out shopping for new sets...)

thanks for your guess and or experience!

(you guys are always here when I need you, lol)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did that as well. Just got them out this morning.

I guess we'll be finding out together LOL.

I'm guessing they should be fine as long as they are still firm. :fl

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If they were hurt by it you'd know -- they'd be sort of soft/squishy (potatoes) or limp/rotty (onions).

As long as they feel fine to you, they probably *are* fine.

Good luck, have fu,n

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree with pat. It usually is moisture coupled with cold that does them in too. So unless they were in a bucket of water in the car :lol: I would think they'd be fine no longer than it has been especially ;) YAY taters and onions! :weee Are you all on the gardening thread? LOTS of good stuff everyone is doing this year :)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I'm there! I have been browsin' and readin' and getting some really good ideas from over there!

Someone mentioned walking onions over there - I want some!!!! They sound really neat and very SS! I just think it's neat that an onion would plant itself :love

I already have some onions in the ground...but not sure if they're going to make it or not since we've had all this cold weather - frosts and snow - maybe more snow or a mix later in the week, So I picked up some extra onion sets and a couple potato sets.

Saw here a while ago about the blue potatoes at the store... I would love to plant them along with my russett and red potatoes. I'd make a great dish for the holidays!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I want those Egyptian Walking Onions too!!! They are SO cool, and I like neat weird plants in my garden anyway bonus if they're edible ;)

ETA: I hear the blue potatoes don't STAY blue when cooked :( Red, white, and blue potato salad for July 4th picnic would be so pretty...it's a cryin shame I tell ya!!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love cool things in the garden...I just get a little ...cautious...when it comes to actually eatting new things. LOL I know, I can be such a little girl.

It's all part of the adventure though.

I would really like to try the loofa and make my own. I think that would be fun.

ETA: I've gotten some of those blue potatoes that come at Costco. Small ones - come with red white and blue potatoes in a bag. Mine did turn a bit purple, but it was really fun to make them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I love cool things in the garden...I just get a little ...cautious...when it comes to actually eatting new things. LOL I know, I can be such a little girl.

I would really like to try the loofa and make my own. I think that would be fun.
I want to try the birdhouse gourds this year. I have some of the really HUGE ones that get big enough to use as baskets, and thought I might make some biodegradable nest boxes/feeders/waterers out of some of them so I can just toss them into the compost when they get beyond reuse. I think THAT would be really neat if I can make it work. Can you imagine....disposable nest boxes.....oh the GLORY of something like that to simplify coop cleaning in Spring :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Gee, everything I have read says that blue potatoes DO stay blue after cooking (insofar as you want to call it blue in the first place... what I've seen is more like what people describing flowers would call blue, i.e. really rather purplish, rather than what *I* would call blue :p)

Perhaps you are thinking of purple beans, which indeed do not stay purple thru cooking but turn dark green instead?

I have walking (Egyptian) onions. I am frankly not that impressed, as the bulblets are teeny (good for throwing in jars of mixed pickled veggies but that's about it) adn the taste is rather crude and strong, ok if you are totally out of any other oniony green but I never seem to use them if ANY alternative exists (chives, onion tops, scallions, garlic tops, etc)

Pat

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
gettinaclue said:

I want to try the birdhouse gourds this year. I have some of the really HUGE ones that get big enough to use as baskets, and thought I might make some biodegradable nest boxes/feeders/waterers out of some of them so I can just toss them into the compost when they get beyond reuse. I think THAT would be really neat if I can make it work. Can you imagine....disposable nest boxes.....oh the GLORY of something like that to simplify coop cleaning in Spring :lol:
I just picked some of those up the other day!!! - the regular sized ones anyway. LOL I had thought maybe cutting them in half and hollowing them out would make for great seed starters - easy transplanting and biodegradable. I don't know what made me think of it, but it'll be neat to give it a go.

I didn't know some of them grew to as big as baskets!!! That would be waaaay cool. Is it a different kind, or do you just miracle grow it to death? LOL