uh oh, I left my potato sets and onion sets in the car for a few days.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Gee, everything I have read says that blue potatoes DO stay blue after cooking (insofar as you want to call it blue in the first place... what I've seen is more like what people describing flowers would call blue, i.e. really rather purplish, rather than what *I* would call blue :p)
Perhaps you are thinking of purple beans, which indeed do not stay purple thru cooking but turn dark green instead?

I have walking (Egyptian) onions. I am frankly not that impressed, as the bulblets are teeny (good for throwing in jars of mixed pickled veggies but that's about it) adn the taste is rather crude and strong, ok if you are totally out of any other oniony green but I never seem to use them if ANY alternative exists (chives, onion tops, scallions, garlic tops, etc)

Pat
I totally agree with you. The plants that are "blue" are more purpleish...or even a bit pink to me.

Very interesting about the Walking Onions. Honestly, I don't really care all that much for onion, though I've taken a small liking to it over the years. I have chives growing in a pot on the deck - they are doing fabulously well - but DH gets this look of shock and revulsion everytime I suggest using them instead of a good ol' fashioned onion. LOL

Maybe someday he will come around.

Edited to clarify.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
gettinaclue~ these are supposed to be about 2 ft. round at the base. I haven't grown them yet, and hope they get that large. Flower pots/planters would be a great use for them too!!! Thanks for that idea!! I hope hope hope they do indeed get that big. I forget what they're called :/ IF I get them to grow well this year though....I should have seed to share with everyone next year :D

Pat...dunno about those taters, not firsthand experience. A lady came the other day to look at my goats, and we got to talking gardens. She said she tried them last year for the grandkids, and that they didn't stay blue when cooked :hu I'm just going off of that. I haven't read anything about them personally, or seen them cooked myself. So, I dunno :idunno

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Well, I've got a kilo of blue seed potatoes on order for next month so shall see what happens LOL

Pat
Let us know! Now I'm curious. If it wasn't too late for them here I'd go get some and see for myself :hu

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found that they were very purple in their raw state, but faded after cooking - which could only be expected I guess. But they were sure great after a lite olive oil rub and a little rosemary rub.