Ultimate DIY guy?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My habitual sphere of interest includes carpentry, practical metal work, plumbing, house/shop electrical, concrete work, a bit of mechanics, and general handyman stuff. This stems from living on 9 acres in a southeastern BC (Canada) rural valley.

This is background to why I'd like to share this page about the work of a guy, Marcin Jakubowski, whom Im inspired by. His work brings together food-raising, hands-on fabrication, sustainability philosophy, engineering, physics, communications, and business models. And he's been putting together his ideas in easy-to-use form.

I'm a new member here on Sufficient Self site, and am as yet prohibitted from putting web site URLs in my posts. (The moderators are understandably wary of spam that newly registered members might post.) However, if you look up the guy's site I think it will be well worth your time, if you like DIY.

There are three short & interesting vids on a page you can find using the following key words in Google:
kickstarter.com projects global village construction set
(You can copy and paste these words into Google.)

Also, this is Marcin's ongoing, earlier-established site. You can Google it as: open source ecology

I think his work is fantastic & fascinating.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. I'm sure you're all my kinda people.

My wife and I have no livestock right now. Have kept chickens in the past. We have anout 5000 sq feet of food-gardening area. Berries, grapes, hazelnuts, pears, apples, and kitchen herbs as permanent plantings - plus the usual annuals (like corn, potatoes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, bell peppers, lettuce & other leafies, cabbage-family things. We have a 2-acre section of natural trees, mostly coniferous. Also have some shade trees we planted, and some decorative plantings of flowering plants.

My wife is a professional sculptor. I've managed a business association - but before that was in magazine/newspaper journalism. Did some years of overlap, in my early worklife, as a carpenter or assistant brick mason. Daughter is now on her own and teaches piano and writes muscial compositions.

Anyhow, as mentioned in my first post, we're into DIY.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow

welcome

sounds like your land is producing very nice food for you!!! that is great.
jump in and chat