Ummm, Road Kill

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to work at a bookstore that stocked a Roadkill Cookbook. Although much of it was written tongue-in-cheek, it was a real cookbook with some valuable information in it.

"The liberals raised such a fuss about how it showed disrespect " That statement just shocks me to the core. I am quite liberal, but I don't see how wasting perfectly good meat can be anything BUT disrespectful to the recently deceased critter. To me, it is sinful to waste it if it can be salvaged and if there are hungry people in need of a good dinner.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Heck honey, when we froze ours I even labeled it "roadkill" on the bags! I asked my mom to pull out a deer roast from the freezer one time and she grabbed one of those bags and just shook her head and said " I don't wanna know".

:lol:

If you hit it.....eat it.
If you see it get hit.....eat it.
If the innards aren't messed up as to taint the meat.....eat it.

You ain't gonna offend ANYBODY on here honey!

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here a simple phone call will get you a permit number, you just need to have the Police file number to give them for the MVA. Mostly trappers collect the road kill in fall so they have bait for the trap lines all winter. Many dog breeders collect as well and I certainly have considered it. There was a call system but generally they would be calling the next day so not used as human food source. Now that highway maintenance is contracted out I'm not sure they call at all anymore.

Realistically If you know the time of death I don't see issue with it at all for human consumption. There will be some meat that is too bruised, and some contaminated. Trim that out. This is not unlike the 2 deer we shot last week however, one had gut spill and one had an exit wound that went through a shoulder point. So deal with it! On this farm everything gets used anyway, I have a freezer in the barn just for the dogs and liver, tripe and damaged meat all goes there, as do all the bones. I bone out for everything coming to the house for us since cooking bones makes them unsafe for dogs.

Bleeding meat out is a consideration in storage. In many cultures meat is not bleed out, and it is more nutritious that way but must be cooked in a day or 2. Even frozen meat saturated with blood spoils. So do look at the carcass and decide if there was sufficient bleeding, internal or external, and hang it accordingly.

I know if I saw a large game just killed and I had the time I'd be trying the system out.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know any of this! Now that we've moved up here to the foothills, a deer on the roadside is a fairly frequent sight. I collected road kill in up state NY while in High School. I stuck them in Mom's freezer or in a snow bank. I wanted to be a part time taxidermist.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto to the previous comments. We are "on the list" with most of my dad's old redneck friends. So when a deer gets hit, they bring it on over. One of the finest meals I've ever had was a young roadkilled deer.

My bff & I were headed to the store on a cool fall morning. There was no deer when we went, but on our way back maybe 15 minutes later, there was a beautiful (but very dead) young doe on the shoulder. We exchanged a look, parked, jumped out & loaded her up. Apparently her head was hit by the front fender/bumper and it broke her neck.

We grilled the tenderloin on an open pit bbq over wood coals. Man, it was fiiiiine.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was watching Judge Judy one day. This girl (?) had borrowed her sister's car, and hit a deer w/it. Judge Judy asked her, what did you do w/the deer? Her reply? I ate it. The look on Judge Judy's face was priceless! :lol:

shadowrider

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
A car about 1/4 mile in front of me rolled a buck into the ditch at the edge of a yard. The pickup behind the car stopped and as I drove by the driver of the pickup and the guy in the yard were trading punches over the deer. I didn't stay to see who won.
Fresno County,California 1985.
shadowrider

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have eaten plenty of "road kill" deer. Luckily in our parts, a call to the sheriff's dept. will have a deputy sent out and you'll get a "permit" of sorts to legally take the deer. My hubby got a huge one (for Florida standards) a few years back hit by an elderly lady. We were in the back yard with flood lights on at 3:00 a.m. hanging up the deer. I kept waiting for a neighbor to call the police and report a lynching! LOL And we lost only a small part due to blood shot meat.

We haven't hit any turkey, although we see them all the time. One of these days....:fl

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My papa hit a turkey in the middle of the road and just threw it in the back of the truck and took it home!

wYs Ranch

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We'll eat RC, as long as we hit it, the person in front of us hit it. I won't eat say a rabbit in the spring, but I would if I hit one in fall (parasites?)

We've taken many a deer home.