Unashamedly Showing Off

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just planted my potatoes this week (last frost is still a month away for us)... I hope mine turn out HALF as good as yours did... they are gorgeous!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I am so jealous of your long growing season and lovely spuds! Ours went in the ground about 3 or 4 weeks ago. We planted a bunch of store bought russet seed potatoes and I had some nice pretty organic ones that I forgot in the cabinet that we planted as well. The organics had more eyes pre section , came up first, the leaves look better and they were cheaper. We expect we will replant those next year if the potatoes are half as good as they were when I bought them.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
What wonderful encouragers you all are ! Having this kind of dumb luck makes me feel as though this garden thing might actually work !

I planted four kinds of potatoes: Russett from the grocery store, red from the grocery store, and both purple and Yukon gold from seed potatoes. My digging around in the mulch under the plants has shown pretty much no purples, and very small YG. Going to check again in a month and see what happens.

I bought the Russetts at the dollar store on purpose, thinking that people who sell to dollar stores probably don't spray their potatoes with sprout retardant.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Dang, those are big!

Nice job :clap Your grands must have LOVED seeing those babies come out of the ground!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Just sometimes I wish I could live in a place with a long growing season! Those are wonderful.

Ours just went in last week- I splurged and bought russet seed potatoes since I think my bad luck with them last year was due to planting store bought potatoes that had eyes and were getting old so, what the heck, put them in the ground and see what happens. Or, it could have been due to lack of sun and too much rain last year (nothing much grew last summer. Hoping for better weather this year).

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey- what kind of potatoes do you use? Do you buy special seeds or just cut up your own??

When are you supposed to start them? Looks like I better google this haha. It's our first garden this year.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I didn't take note of the particular varieties, other than to know they are russett. I also used reds, Yukon Gold and there are some purple in containers.

The purple and YG were seed potatoes, and they are not doing as well as the grocery store ones, which these were.

What zone are you in? That will tell you a lot. I started these the first week of March, which was before our historical last freeze date. But it seldom freezes in March so I risked it. I planted 21 starts, and have 36 plants.

We are able to grow potatoes over the winter here as well, with deep mulch.

This is my first year as well. This is VERY encouraging !!!

peachykeen said:
Hey- what kind of potatoes do you use? Do you buy special seeds or just cut up your own??

When are you supposed to start them? Looks like I better google this haha. It's our first garden this year.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks for the info! i'm really hopeful for this year's garden, last year we lived in washington sun (ie, no sun, ever) and it was pathetic; this year we've moved to indiana and have a huge garden plot in a field that always gets tons of sun. thanks for the encouragement!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Those are impressive looking potatoes!!! :ep

Freshly dug potatoes are as different in taste as freshly picked tomatoes.
The skins are real thin and you don't even need to peel them. You don't need butter on them either, but it doesn't hurt ;)
My grandmother used to boil them up and set them on the table with a bottle of vinegar (ACV or white vinegar), salt and pepper and we would snack on them. Yummy!!!

I have not had much luck with potatoes. I sure hope this year will be better. I fenced them off to keep the chickens out and so far they are looking good.