Unexpected Arrival

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Early last winter we acquired a pygmy goat we named Sassy. Last month we noticed her getting a little plump while the rest of the goats were thinning out a bit. But she is quite small and can slip in anywhere and steal grain from someone, so we didn't think much more about it. This afternoon she was running around bleating and really seemed scared or confused. We considered calling the vet but decided to catch her and put her in one of the horse trailers while we went on our weekly "date", dinner at the Chinese restaurant. If she hadn't calmed down by the time we got home we would call.
We got home around 9, walked up to the trailer, and much to our surprise, there are 2 new goats in there with Sassy. One was up stumbling around but the other was just laying in the middle of the trailer not making a sound and it appeared that mom wasn't paying any attention to her. It ( we don't know if they're boys or girls yet ) was still wet and shivering (it's cool and rainy here right now). So we dried it off as best we could and wrapped it in a towel. By now the other one is getting it's first meal and mom still isn't making any attempts to nurture this one. So we stole a little milk from mom, brought the baby inside and we're going to do what we can to see this poor thing through the night. These are our first "kids" so if it makes it through the night I may come looking to some of you guys and girls for input. Our computer is down right now but as soon as it's back I'll post some pics. They sure are cute.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quick update. He's pretty much dried off now and taking the milk through a syringe. We've gotten about 20ml in so far. We had to lift him up but when we did he was standing on his own for about 10 seconds.
It's going to be a looooooong night.
Oh BTW TH, I think I'll play around with those seeds even though the recession is over, but thanks for the offer. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congrats on the new kids!

How is the chilled baby doing this morning?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
What a nice suprise, unclejoe.

Hope the little one made it through the night.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well he made it through the night. It is a boy. Calling him Ali, as in the boxer from the 70's. We put him in a small box with a space heater nearby. Milked mom a few times and bottle fed him as much as he would take. He can stand up and walk now. In fact, if we walk away from him, he follows us. We're getting ready to take him out to mom for a while so she doesn't forget who he is. 4 of us kept a 2 person watch all night. I'm tired.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Free. As soon as our computer is back I'll load them and post. I'm using our son's and don't want to download my camera onto his machine. Haven't checked the other one yet. I sure hope it's doeling.