Unschoolers

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any unschoolers on here? I don't quite consider myself to be an unschooler, but pretty close. We don't do any worksheets or use any formal curriculum. I believe in the better late than early idea as far as reading and writing. I believe that when my kids are ready to learn something... they will! All I have to do is provide the opportunity for learning. I do occasionally ask that my kids do a particular "assignment", such as completing the neccessary work to get free rides at the fair, or writing thank-you notes for gifts (even if the writing is really just a picture with a short caption from my youngest). Our days mainly are filled with playing games, reading books together, and learning life skills. I consider life skills to be things such as how to figure out what package of cheese is the best value for what we will use, or learning how to read a recipe. What things do you do during "school hours"?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My second son did not read until he was 8 & it was frustrating for me, but he finally got it at his pace & now he loves to read.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started out unschooling w/ the kids, just so they'd get out of the mindset of what "school" had been to them. That didn't work for my 8yo though, he needs rigid structure, so he has curriculum he does everyday, and follows a routine of how his day goes.

my daughter (6yo) has curriculum available, but she only uses it if she feels she needs help w/ a certain subject or area. We pulled it out this week for some spelling help. She has worksheets if she chooses. maybe once a month she'll ask for some if she's bored, and she'll sit there and do 20+ in a day. But she pretty much goes at her own pace and learns what she's interested in. I guide her if need be, for more information, but she's very inquisitive and loves doing her own things. So not sure what style of HSing you'd call it, but that's what she does! :) She's a year ahead of her peers who are in public school. That's why we're so laid back w/ her learning style, if she were behind I think I'd (unfortunately) probably push more.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We will be unschooling too. My son is an active, kinestic learner (he's only 3) so I imagine life will be interesting teaching him!! Lot's on hands on projects and building. My daughter will be 5 this Dec and she prefers some structure. So for now we use workbooks and the like. I'm not against using a curriculum if it will be helpful to their learning process, but see no need for one at this age.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I Real Life School. My 2 youngest dd (11 and 13) have never been to public school. I do follow a curriculum because my children need structure and it is advantageous to know your facts. I also teach them to cook from scratch, clean up their messes and can and preserve food. They also help take care of our garden (preparing, planting, and harvesting) chickens and other pets. They read up on animals and are very good at identifying and sexing chickens.They have plans for their own flocks of chickens and guineas one day. They know how to shop for bargains and foods without preservatives and artificials. We do math at the grocery store. They can figure out how much things cost each at 3 for $5 etc. in their head. They can pet sit and house sit and earn money. They know how to manage their money (percentages for spending, saving and earning interest). If they have an interest in something we jump on it. They still have a lot of time for playing with their legos, model horses, riding their bicycles etc. My parents taught me nothing about real life so I make sure mine are prepared.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We're unschooling. DS is only 6 and so far it's working out pretty well for us. I don't know if this method will always work for him so I'm keeping an open mind in case we need to adopt something more formal later on. I'm planning to HS the other kids too.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My kids are in public school, but I think you're spot on in making everyday life a learning opportunity!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Did you do research before you made the decision to homeschool? If you did where did you look, and did you read any books? I have looked at the shelf at the library but have been too scared about it to check one out. Still on the fence....I hate our current school system, though. The sad thing is that I went to college and majored in elementary education and graduated cum laude with a degree in teaching....:rolleyes:

Sad, isn't it...I got into the school systems and decided that it wasn't for me...I stayed stressed out all the time and was always sick. I love kids but I guess I am just nervous about "going against the grain". My husband is supportive so I guess we just have to discuss it more. Tyler knows all his letters and can count to 20 and beyond with help, knows his shapes and colors, does well sorting things into groups, picking out opposites, and he LOVES animals and we watch the discovery channel, animal planet, the travel channel, and national geographic channel all the time. He can identify lots of different animals and loves books and will "read" to us all the time. He loves to fish and help me cook. He is pretty smart for his age, I guess. He will be 4 at the end of this month.

My daughter is not anywhere near where he was at her age but then again he had 2 years of one on one attention before his sister was born. Maddie hasn't had that. I guess the different age groups are intimidating to me and dividing my attention is too. I also know that in Va the children have to pass standardized tests periodically, even if they are homeschooled. That makes me nervous too cause I am afraid that I will miss something and they won't pass the test and then they will force me to put them in public school.

I don't know....just rambling.....:D

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had the same concerns about standardized testing because here in PA they require it as well in 3rd, 5th and 8th grade. Then I joined the PA homeschooler's Yahoo group and asked a bunch of questions and they all assured me that even unschooled kids generally far surpass the standardized tests. Not only that but you can get stuff from your local school district that will help you prepare for the tests if you feel that you need some help getting your little ones ready. I am also on the forum at mothering.com which has an area for homeschooling and unschooling and the women there are awesome and very helpful. I think there's also a sticky on there that gives links to websites that cite each state's legal requirements for homeschooling.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I have looked at the shelf at the library but have been too scared about it to check one out.
Aw c'mon, sheesh, at least check a book out of the library, it doesn't bite!! ;)

I also know that in Va the children have to pass standardized tests periodically, even if they are homeschooled. That makes me nervous too cause I am afraid that I will miss something and they won't pass the test and then they will force me to put them in public school.
So, you find out what they have to know for the standardized test, and teach it. The great majority of public school kids pass the tests that way, chances are high that (especially with individualized attention!) yours will too.

And one big difference is that you will not have to spend much *time* teaching-to-the-test, because you can target only those areas that your particular child happens to be a little weak in. Leaving you lots more time for everything ELSE a person can learn in life :)

I mean, what's the WORST that could happen - they end up in public school? Well that is the alternative choice you're considering *anyway* :p

Good luck with your decision,

Pat