Unschoolers

1stepcloser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
Farmfresh said:
The biggest opposition we had to not public schooling my kids was my aunt. She was a public school teacher and VERY vocal about the subject. She firmly believed the only way a child "could ever get a proper education" was to go to public school. Interestingly she now home schools her grand children.
That's what I've seen in the homeschool group, too! At least 5 of the homeschooling moms used to be teachers, then they decided to stay home and homeschool their kids. Amazing.
That would be me. I have my MA in Education and am fried by the system. I am at home unschooling my 12 year old. My 13 and 8 year olds still want to go to public school which is fine. But my 12 year old is a sensitive soul and learns at a slower pace than your average kid so we take our time at learn as we go. (He is killing fractions right now...the boy loves to cook. LOL )

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So what does it take to be a unschooler besides a kid of course.

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Unschooler here! My "almost 5 year old" chose that style of schooling for us. I bought all sorts of fun programs, workbooks, etc, she has absolutely NO interest in doing any of them. Maybe its age right now. But I don't think so. She is very much like me. Not good at "book learnin'" but loves hands on, action involved type of learning.

As far as being "qualified", well, I had a 3rd grade teacher who was "qualified" according to the State, but she ruined me. I can also remember some very nice teachers after that, but unfortunately because I was a quiet kid I got lost in the shuffle.
I usually find people who make comments about being qualified and such really know nothing about homeschooling. I find that "unqualified" to even respond to the thread to begin with.