unusual eggs...pics

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, so I have 12 hens, one rooster and 12 chicks.

Nearly every day we get 8 to 10 eggs. They are different colors, so I know which hen is laying which egg. Some skip a day or so, but that is to be expected and I really don't have a problem with it.

But Gretchen has not been laying since last spring. I know she hasn't. We kept her around, so she could diffuse some of Junior's attention from the other productive hens.

So after the major rains stopped, I decided it was time to have a talk with Gretchen, the bantam brahma hen. So when all the rest of the ladies were taking a much deserved break, I called her aside. She is the one to the right, next to the open gate.
1683_100_7970.jpg

"Honey" I said, "you are cute and all and your feathers are very pretty and shiny, but you are really going to have to start pulling your weight around here" She averts her eyes.

1683_100_7969.jpg

"Everyone on this farm has to contribute! This is a working farm!" I insisted "Even the rabbit puts in his share. He eats all the weeds and stems and produces wonderful fertilizer, that we can put directly in the garden! All you do is to look pretty, eat and yes you provide fertilizer, but you are capable of so much more. I really want you to put some effort into this. I want eggs. Or else...." I gave the ultimate ultimatum.

A few days ago, I saw her coming out of the nesting area, announcing "I laid and egg, it is my egg, I laid an egg" and so on. :rolleyes:
I mean she just wouldn't stop bragging.

1683_100_7967.jpg

I figured I better go see. Yup, she laid an egg. It was a little unusual, but I figured she gets an A for effort.

So I went into the nest area to gather the eggs today. Among the usual assortment of eggs I found another one of Gretchen's eggs. I have been saving them.

1683_xxsmall_eggs_7966.jpg

All 3 small ones are hers!!
Well she is laying eggs, I didn't say what size I wanted. :gig
Susie my tiniest hen, who just raised 12 chicks in the dead of winter is laying the nice white one next to Gretchen's 3 peanuts.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I guess maybe next time you'll be more specific - size, color, etc! :gig

I had "the talk" with the Sebbies again today - the Gander who needs a name screamed at me and hissed. The girls didn't see me coming with their food and so just ignored me completely. :rolleyes:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
They'll make the cutist Easter Eggs.:love
I'd love to try and blow them out, but I'm afraid they will break. I might just let them sit around and let them dry out. I'll just have to be real careful not to break them for a few years. :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Peanuts........ :lol:

Well at least she is making the effort :D

Love the pics and the story! Too funny :gig