unwanted canned oranges

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What alternative uses are there for canned oranges?

Last year I canned about 40 lb of velencia oranges. Most of them were devined, which was a lot of work. No one wants to eat them, which is a bummer. Even I am not crazy about them.

I was thinking about blending them and doing a fermentation. But I don't know if the resulting wine would be good enough to drink.

What could I do with all these oranges?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Finish a hog? Sure would make for some good meat :drool You could probably find a cake recipe to incorporate them, or possibly blend them with other fruit juice to make some sort of freezer pops.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Maybe process into a marmalade? Or find recipes for baked goods? I don't know. Just a few thoughts...

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Throw them in a blender then strain for Orange juice? Maybe mixed with pineapple.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could make Orange Chicken, or Orange Date Bread, or Ambrosia salad, or this:

Orange Chicken Roll Ups

Ingredients:
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
4 flour tortillas, 10 inch
1 package cream cheese
8 oz canned oranges, drained
8 oz canned pineapple tidbits, drained
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup salted cashews, chopped

Directions

Spray a skillet with vegetable spray. Salt and pepper chicken. Heat skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken breasts well on both sides, about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Spread tortillas evenly with cream cheese. (this will be the "glue" to hold everything together.) Cut chicken into small pieces and divide between the tortillas, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of tortilla uncovered on one side. Top chicken with oranges, pineapple, green onions, bell peppers and cashews. Roll up tightly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never tried them but I suspect that the heat from caning spoils the taste there is agood reason that you never see canned oranges in commercial cans [before someone yells gotcha, mandarin oranges are canned!yep they are but they are one parent strain for the whole group called sweet oranges] velencia oranges are considered juce oranges and I much perfer the juice that was never concentrated.
when I can get my hands on velencia oranges i peel off the zest [chopped fine it is my secret ingriendent for home made steak sauce, A1 type] then juice them getting the max pulp and freeze it for use in bar mixers.

When I was a kid there was a soda [bottles only, called ORANGE CRUSH with about an inch of pulp in the bottom of the 8 ounce bottle] yep I am that old that 8 oz was the standard size. young idiots would always try to shake to disperse the pulp and make a sticky mess when they uncapped the bottle. the brand is still around, the product isn't `gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Velencia oranges aren't the best for eating. They're a bit bland and the flesh is not dense like blood oranges and other sweet oranges. GD, I wish I had juiced them. I did save the zest and used that in a so-so mead. But now I want my jars and lids back, so I've got to do something with them. I have all of these apples to deal with and only 4 carboys for fermenting. Puts me in a tight spot. Maybe I can use some of my food-grade plastic buckets... Have to figure out how to make an airlock without spoiling the structural integrity (and future utility) of my buckets!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Velencia oranges aren't the best for eating. They're a bit bland and the flesh is not dense like blood oranges and other sweet oranges. GD, I wish I had juiced them. I did save the zest and used that in a so-so mead. But now I want my jars and lids back, so I've got to do something with them. I have all of these apples to deal with and only 4 carboys for fermenting. Puts me in a tight spot. Maybe I can use some of my food-grade plastic buckets... Have to figure out how to make an airlock without spoiling the structural integrity (and future utility) of my buckets!
The old german cider makers didn't use airlocks they would make a starter [gallon jug leave cap loose so gas could excape] when it was fermenting madlythe starter was added to the first freshcrushed juice the working juice is very tasty and low in alcohol a favored Halloween treat for the kids. with buckets use cheese cloth unless you wabt fruit flies in your drink!]