up here in lalaland ~ Tennessee here we come!

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just signed in today for the first time after sort of cruising here once in a while. I'm living life pretty much the way I want (except, of course, I could do without a job if I could so I could live more!), and life is so good and sweet. Not saying that $ isn't hard to come by, just that I have food, shelter, clothes, a few tools, 8 chickens, a good coop, small house, 10 acres, no neighbors in sight, and wonder of wonders, health insurance after years without.

Had the best xmas in years - all 18 of my immediate family (parents, siblings, nieces, nephews and assorted inlaws/sweethearts) up for xmas day yesterday, in spite of the winter storm.

My house is small, but everyone could sit somewhere for dinner, and we had time for building snowpeople and a couple of good snowball fights.

I'll try the intro questions, but wow! a lot of them have nothing to do with my life! Here goes:

01. Name? la la land - its where I live, when the world gets too hard to think about, I can be here...in la la land. Definitely a refuge.

09. Do you like to swim? I love swimming in a clean northern lake - would rather eat dirt than swim in a swimming pool

10. Living arrangement? hmmm, this covers a lot of stuff. I live 75 miles from where I work, and my new sweetheart has been staying at my house pretty much full time for the last 4 months. Nice to come home to someone, nice to have someone who can tend to the chickens as it is pitch black when I leave for work, and pitch black when I come home from work. And being newly in love is always a wonderful thing!

11. What's on your mouse pad? nah, my house is too small for a monitor and harddrive. I use a laptop.

12. Favorite board game? can't remember, been years

13. Favorite magazine? countryside living

17. Favorite smells? hay, rain, tomato leaves, strawberries warmed in the sun
18. Least favorite smells? perfumes, scented laundry products, and any of the stinky things people pay money for and plug in their house! pay money for formeldyhyde?

19. Favorite sound? rain on the roof, or the chicken egg laying song, wolf howls, owls, nuthatches

25. Do you sing in the shower? don't have a shower

27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? gratitude and whats the weather?

29. How do you want to die? fast

32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? are you out of your ever living mind?
33. Do you like dressing up? god no

35. Do you enjoy reading? absolutely
36. What book are you reading now? re-reading omnivore's dilemna

37. Favorite books? gene stratton porter, barbara kingsolver

38. What was the last movie you saw? fast food nation

48. Do you like to drive fast? yes!!! but am cautious in bad weather. but give me dry pavement or a good dirt road, and whoopee.

56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? I'm a lesbian, so I would first say, quit thinking the whole world is straight! And yes, women can be friends with other women, but sometimes, when you least expect it, friendship can blossom into something else. Hence, caution and good boundaries if you are already in a relationship! Yup, I believe in monogamy, or at least, serial monogamy.

57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? yes yes yes

58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? could I get paid for writing?

59. What's your "type"? honest, giving, knows whats packed in their baggage, laughs easily and finds it hard to hold a grudge.

83. Have you ever been in love? Saddest thing would be to have never been in love, unless you are 12 years old!

84. Any pets? currently, two aging cats.

86. Is the glass half empty or half full? half full on the way to overflowing. Always been an optimist. I think you can contribute to reality by your thoughts .....won't watch movies that show cruelty, violence, evil - which rules out say, 90% of the movies at least....because watching that desensitizes you to unacceptable behavior. so can't support the movie industry that way! not that they miss my $.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Welcome!... and don;t worry about the master list, - I think it was more of a joke than a necessity.

Hope you like it here!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
lalaland said:
I'm living life pretty much the way I want
:weee I think that's what most of us here are aiming for! :welcome

So here's a question perhaps more relevant than that survey... what other SS interests do you have other than your chickens?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Just came in from feeding the chickens xmas dinner scraps - and the birds. Fav xmas present was a mineral lick for the deer!

Other SS interests: growing food -half of xmas dinner and much of xmas presents came from the garden. I'ld love a root cellar, but the water table is pretty high on my land, so it will need to be a mostly above ground thing with dirt on and around it.

I don't eat a lot of meat, and I do have room for a cow or two, but don't have the time to properly care for them because of work and a long long commute. and while I admire those who can raise a beef calf all spring and summer on pasture, I'm not quite there yet at being able to haul it off to the meat locker. I don't eat my chickens either, but roosters go to friends who promise me they won't serve them to me for dinner.

I barter on an informal basis with neighbors - get my hay and straw from an old widowed dairy farmer who lusts after meatloaf and cookies, eggs and baked treats to another neighbor who is a metal worker- he makes incredible knives, blades, etc and he is generous enough to fix my bird feeder poles after the bears wreck them (yeah, I take the feeders in at night but sometimes the bears beat me to them) and sharpen hatchets for me.

the usual frugality of re=use, re-purpose, thrift stores and farm auctions.

I'm really interested in community building - you couldn't get me in a walmart without hogwrestling me to the floor and dragging me in hogtied. I try to eat local, buy local and chain stores/restaurants are of no interest. Not a purist, I love coffee, bananas, chocolate and tangerines, spices to name a few things that aren't available produced locally.

don't have the $ for some stuff re: off the grid

How bout you?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!! Sounds like your la la land is a pretty nice place.

I love the idea of bartering for what you need. Makes the best use of yours skills and your neighbors.

Merry Christmas!!

gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
:frow

"the usual frugal"---lol---that is what we do here definitely! :)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome

Hey LaLa, sounds like you are living life as you want, and that is great.

This is a great place for exchanging ideas or just learning awesome stuff from others.

So enjoy!!