upside down hanging tomato plants

denimangle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
here is a planter DH made for the upside down planting.
I keep a upside down water bottle stuck in the top for water.
Here in Texas it dries out fast. these were made from scrap lumber from a fence company

741_finished_coop_011.jpg

741_finished_coop_012.jpg

741_finished_coop_013.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ohh, thanks that's helpful. I have saved a bunch of those Folgers plastic coffee buckets. So I think I am going to start with a couple of those.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
One of the reasons that this kind of growing interests me here is the massive slug population. The biggest slug I have personally measured is 9". But I think they can get bigger. And sooooo many of so many kinds. They can nuke plants over night.
I wonder what kinds of things beside peppers would do well with this sort of growing. Tomatoes would not be a big deal for me because slugs don't eat them. I wonder about strwberries, lettuce, cabbages- I hardly grow them becaude the daily slug battles get me down.
Any one have experience with this?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
One of the reasons that this kind of growing interests me here is the massive slug population. The biggest slug I have personally measured is 9". But I think they can get bigger. And sooooo many of so many kinds. They can nuke plants over night.
I wonder what kinds of things beside peppers would do well with this sort of growing. Tomatoes would not be a big deal for me because slugs don't eat them. I wonder about strwberries, lettuce, cabbages- I hardly grow them becaude the daily slug battles get me down.
Any one have experience with this?
What I was thinking was what if a person put the pepper or broccoli or cauliflower to grow upside down and then planted some strawberries or lettuce on TOP of the bucket???? That's it, that's my thought for the day.

denimangle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes You can grow top & bottom ...I had tomatoes & peppers in the bottom. Flowers in the top. Workes good.
Cheryl