Urban hunting with airguns

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Crows, Ravens, whatever. They are multiplying exponentially here in CA. The only predator they have is West Nile Virus. They are the first indicators.

I HATE them, cus they eat baby birds, adult birds, can kill a small cat, and are totally obnoxious and unafraid of humans.

Can I mail you a few thousand? Freezer stock, canning, jerky, lots of options.....

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Urban Dreamer,

May I recommend... Hit up Crosman's website. Check out the custom shoppe. That's where I had them make me a .22 pistol w/14" long barrel. Cost was just a hair over $100, add another $50 or so for an average scope. Plenty of enough power to take back yard pests. If you want more power and range there's the Benjamin Discovery. Great rifle, but takes a bit more of an investment to buy a scuba tank and tank to rifle adapter for filling. You could fill it using thier pump, but unless you're an athlete, I highly recommend the investment into a scuba tank. Both of those I own. Next on my wish list is a .25 Benjamin Maurader. It's a repeating rifle that comes with it's own built in silencer. Nice rifle but in the $450 range.

Pat,

Thanks for the tips, I'll do a bit of research. I usually hear about these things through the local grape vine. EG, 50% of the deer in my area are now carrying ticks carrying lyme disease.

kOxx,

Fine, I'll try anything once, twice.... Never bothered me gutting fish, so I can't see how gutting any other critter would get to me. Just wish my knives were sharper. Have one heck of a time dressing rabbits and squirrles now as is.

I kinda like XPC's wit. Put a smile on my face when he makes comments like he does. :)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I would suggest selling all those high priced varmint guns and order an online good cooking Asian wife, though they make some nice Russian models they tend to come from the Chernobyl area and run the risk of ending up with a godzilla. I also don't recommend the standard European roundhead model as they can be pushy and not very subservient.

A well maintained Asian women has the skin hue of lightly salted butter and with sumo wrestling being their national sport they like a bigger man and unlike the French women won't fill your plate with fungus slimes molds or jellies. Latinos and Hispanics come in all makes and models but tend to get leathery if not kept out of the sun. If you like em' darker yet I would be cautious as they will whip your butt if you get mouthy, besides they like skinny white boys.

suburbanhomesteader

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have certainly done a fair amount of urban hunting, although I have a lot 600' deep and 100' wide, so I have a good "firing range" and I am quite sure the topography prevents errant bullets going anywhere.

I have been known to use a CB cap in my .22

But I have another question; why not just raise meat rabbits? That is, of course, if you live in a city which doesn't allow chickens (although my city doesn't allow chickens, so mine are illegal). Rabbits are very easy to raise, have virtually no odor, produce wonderful fertilizer so you can grow salad-fixins for a well-rounded meal, and if you raise them, you're not dependent on errant bucks wandering through your back yard!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can catch about 10 mice a day around here. Can you eat mice? I think some people in some parts of the world do.

Why don't you just raise rabbit? You can cook them as many different ways as you cook a chicken

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Must have missed this thread the first time it went around. As for expanding your table fair, my folks always want my son to come over and get rid of all the mourning doves. They are said to be quite delicious. also pigeon. both shootable with an airgun. Crow is supposed to be palatable.